PDA

View Full Version : off flavor syrup

amyd
04-01-2011, 09:04 PM
For no apparent reason, our latest batch of syrup tastes "off". It almost tastes like how hay smells. Strange because our sap looks good, we are boiling every 4 days or so and our previous batches came out great. Not sure if it has to do with niter buildup in our evaporator or what. Any ideas? We bottled 3 gallons of it and will use it for cooking but it just doesn't taste right. (125 taps)

mike z
04-01-2011, 09:41 PM
Not sure how far you are into the season, but that sounds "buddy" to me, and I don't mean the friendly kind. Did it smell similar when boiling?

amyd
04-02-2011, 07:56 AM
We are definitely nearing the end of the season but the sap is still clear so at first I kind of negated the idea that is was "buddy" but you may be right. It did smell like that when boiling..Do you think I can still use the finshed stuff for cooking or should I ditch it. Three gallons of syrup down the drain would be a hard thing to swallow....

Sugarmaker
04-02-2011, 08:04 AM
DO NOT DUMP IT!!!!!
You may have a metobolic flavor. You might search and find my post on this. I had made syrup for 40 + years and never tasted it. but was aware of the flavor. It is not buddy. that has a back of the tong sour flavor. You may have what is described as strong cardboard taste??? Although I would not want it on my pancakes either, you can sell the syrup for bulk and go out and have a real nice dinner!
Chris

amyd
04-04-2011, 04:31 PM
DO NOT DUMP IT!!!!!
You may have a metobolic flavor. You might search and find my post on this. I had made syrup for 40 + years and never tasted it. but was aware of the flavor. It is not buddy. that has a back of the tong sour flavor. You may have what is described as strong cardboard taste??? Although I would not want it on my pancakes either, you can sell the syrup for bulk and go out and have a real nice dinner!
Chris

I would be interested in reading your post about that. Not sure how to go about finding it though. Any hints?