PDA

View Full Version : moving a 2x6 with bricks?

Brian Ledoux
04-01-2011, 01:24 PM
Thinking of selling my 2x6 leader patriot. Just insulated and fire bricked it this year. When folks sell these do you normally take all the fire bricks out of it?

PerryW
04-01-2011, 01:42 PM
(in 1989) when I sold my 2x6, the people who bought it did not take out the bricks. As I recall, we took off everything that was easy (doors, grates, legs) and six of us got it out of my sugarhouse and into the back of a pickup.

StayinLowTech
04-01-2011, 04:11 PM
My 2x6 came fully bricked and the seller had cut some scrap plywood to cover the bricks on the sides and then screwed pieces of 2x4 between the sides to hold them in. Everything transported beautifully, but of course you then need lots of help to move such a heavy item.

red maples
04-01-2011, 04:49 PM
I took the bricks out moved it and then re-bricked it when I bought mine. I just didn't have the man power to move it fully bricked but I would just leave it up to the buyer!!!

hounder
04-03-2011, 07:08 PM
We moved a 4 x 12 today fully bricked and mortared in so we didn't cut them out. We bought angle iron and bolted the legs onto it with u-bolts then braced in multiple places with hardwood cross ways. We got it jacked up and used 5 pieces of steel pipe and winched it up on the trailer. It took us about an hour or so from start to finish. Probably would have been quicker if we had pre drilled some holes for the wood braces before hand but we didn't think of needing it. It was not a brute force job, it was using the right tools for the right job.

We actually are going to leave the steel frame on it now that it has it. It is an older model and can't see a reason to take it off.

jmayerl
04-04-2011, 01:03 AM
we had 4 guys and were able to mover ours. only bricked in the front and ramp.