PDA

View Full Version : This is some kind of record I think for early tapping

latewood
01-21-2006, 07:16 PM
Hi everyone,
I have not tapped yet-but a friend of mine in wyoming county has had his bush tapped for about 10 days now. So far he has made 12 drums of good syrup,about 10 of light and 2 of medium.This is about 1/4 of his usual yearly crop. Wouldn't have believed it if I didn't see it with my own eyes. He tapped early last year with some success,but not as profitable as this year.By the way his tapholes never dried up before the season was finished last year,he finished just as strong as I did and I tapped the last week of Feb. 2005.

Russ008
01-22-2006, 06:33 PM
Is that wyoming county NY ? What part of NY is that ? Must be cold again by now ? Its getting cold again this week here. Got most my taps out collected 40 gals of sap off 60 taps, stopped running befor I got half of them out. I guess I'll use my waiting time clearing out the sugar bush some.

wanabe
01-25-2006, 12:01 PM
Hi Guys,

I live in Saratoga county and it seems the entire winter thus far has been tapping weather. Im going to hold out for a while it looks like the next ten days could be our first real sign of winter around here. Im sure we are still in for a good cold Feb here so we will see. The last four years I have not tapped untill the 3 week of Feb and thats when I took some vacation to do so. Hope my planning works out. :)

RUSTYBUCKET
01-25-2006, 05:37 PM
This weather of late has really had us scratching our heads as whether to go ahead and tap or not. The past couple of years I've tapped around the 1st or 2nd week in Feb. With my partner down for the season, it may be a short one for me anyways. I'm down in Ulster County.

Russ

JIMBO
01-25-2006, 09:07 PM
HI

THIS MIGHT BE NUTS BUT I AM TAPPING FRIDAY
FORECAST IS CALLING FOR GOOD TEMPS AND THE TREES HAVE BEEN LEAKINNG ALL WEEK
ANYONE OUT THERE HAVE AN OPINION ABOUT RETAPPING LATER IN THE SE ASON

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-25-2006, 09:16 PM
If the temps do not get too warm, the holes will run 7 or 8 weeks. I made syrup 6 full weeks last year and my best week by far was the last week. The sap was still running the 7th week pretty good, but I had enough! :lol: :lol: :lol:

sweetwoodmaple
01-25-2006, 10:06 PM
The problem I ran into last year is that I tapped mid February and had about 1/3 of my crop after 2-1/2 weeks. Then, it froze up solid for 2 weeks.

When things resumed, it did not get below freezing very much, so the bacteria built up in my tap holes, but not much sap.

I guess this is the caution in tapping too late...no Freezing nights are a killer!

Good Luck All!

Brian

01-26-2006, 08:50 PM
Russ, Wyoming county is in the western area of Ny state near buffalo and niagara falls. Yes it is cold here again,today it is 11 degrees F at 9:45 pm. I never tap this early,but my buddy seems to have had very good production doing this for 2- 3 years now by tapping in January.His hole don't seem to dry up(all on vacuum&tubing) any earlier than mine(I am also on vacuum&tubing),but he does have more vacuum at the taps than I can achieve with my present setup.

latewood
01-26-2006, 08:52 PM
I am sorry,I posted the last message as a guest because I forgot to log in. Anyhow things in Wyoming county are off to an early start for sure!

01-28-2006, 10:13 AM

I was considering tapping this week because the tempretures seemed right. But, I thought it was just WAY too early.

Now, I don't know what to do?

wanabe
01-28-2006, 08:15 PM
Im going crazy here, the weather after tuesday looks perfect for sap to run, but it seems so darn early. Im off for the next 4 days so I think im going to get stuff ready. Tomorrow Im going to get my lines up that I take down for summer and get some tanks and buckets cleaned. Monday and tues we are supposed to get a Noreaster not sure if rain or snow so maybe I can get my pans rinsed and hooked up. If the forecast still looks the same tues I may tap Wed at least partly. I normally dont tap until the 3rd week of Feb but this is not a normal year.

Jeff

01-29-2006, 03:25 AM
Spoke to to guy yesterday in East Rochester ,NY , said he'd made a couple gallons on his secound boil. Seems pretty early.

Tomahawk
01-30-2006, 05:31 PM

I was considering tapping this week because the tempretures seemed right. But, I thought it was just WAY too early.

Now, I don't know what to do?

The quote above was me -- I guess I forgot to sign in.

I ended up tapping 4 trees yesterday and got about 3.5 gallons of sap so far. They're all flowing pretty good except for one.

I think it was (or gor close to) 60 degrees today.

Strange weather. It's gonna get cold again...right?

wanabe
01-30-2006, 10:20 PM
Well I probably shot myself in the foot today but I put 100 taps in. Its seems the weather is going to be pretty good for the next 10 days or so. I was done tapping at my parents house by 1:00pm and call just about dark and had pulled in about 40 gallons not to bad but we did not even get a freeze last night. Next 7 days or so are forecasted for Hi 30s and low 20s may put in a few of the buckets around my house tomarrow but think I may wait until wed to do the the last 200 on line.

Johnny Cuervo
01-31-2006, 12:05 AM
I put in two test taps Friday 1/27 one in a 20" tree and one in a 10" tree,
the large tree running at 90 drips a min, 2 gals a day 2.7 %. The smaller tree about a quart a day @ 1.6%. I might get out my first pan this weekend and do a small open fire boil, just like old days. (4 years ago for me).

John

wanabe
02-01-2006, 12:05 PM
Hi Guys, Got the 100 taps in on Mon at my parents pulled 40 gallons on Mon 70 on tues and there running good today maybe 70 or so today if the the wind stays away. Tonight is supposed to be 25 and 40 tomarrow so Im hoping for 100 or so gallons tomarrow. Im holding off on the 250 taps left to go because it looks like Feb may get cold. Well at any rate should be able to boil Sat if I have 250 to 300 gallons. :D :D

JIMBO
02-02-2006, 09:20 PM
WLL IT TOOK 3 DAYS BUT I FINISHED TAPPING 2DA
I PLUGGED IN AT 1 AND AT 6 IHAD ABOUT 1200 GALLON
IGOT BACK TO WASH MY RO AND BLEW A HOSE IN BACK
WELL I GUESS THAT WILL MAKE TOMORROW A LIIYLE LONGE

3000 TAPS
450 RO
TOOSMALL OF AN EVAPORATOR

JIMBO
02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
I JUST FINISHED BOILING