PDA

View Full Version : Back to school

Mike in NY
04-01-2011, 11:16 AM
I have been asked to give a presentation on how we make maple syrup to a class of 5th graders. Anyone ever do anything like this? Gonna call our state maple association and see if they have anything could help me out. But any input from you folks would be appreciated as well.
Looks like another overnight boil,sugar content is down but volume is UP. firewood may be a limiting factor this year

Mac_Muz
04-01-2011, 11:38 AM
Good luck with that. :D 5th graders are into things that happen fast. If you get lucky 1 maybe 2 kids will fall in love with sugar makin', but the rest will be little demons.

I never have done a sugar demo, but I used to do Fur Trade Era mountain man, natives from before that, and so on, with muskets, bows. atlatals, and kids just loose it on anything that takes time.

I do fire by flint and steel and bow drill as well.

Doing a late arcahic character, at a summer camp, one little monster threw up such a stink causing more problems. I grabbed him by the foot, and made pretend to begin to eat him. :D

This pic wasn't then, but I looked alot like what is in the picture just the same. :D

http://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll275/Mac_Muz/Bill_path2_cropped_web.jpg

tbear
04-01-2011, 01:55 PM
I've had Cub Scouts here a couple of times. Hands on is good for them...Let 'em drill a few holes...drive a few spiles....empty some buckets..and of course let them tast the sap straight out of the tree! I also have them try the boiling not syrup yet stuff (after letting it cool) and then the syrup itself. Last time I sent home a four ounce jar of syrup with each cub scout. I'm not that cheap...just didn't have much syrup! They all seemed to enjoy it...I did to! Have fun!

40to1
04-01-2011, 10:18 PM
I had second graders come over earlier this season and got some good advice from others on this forum.
The best advice was: have fun.
Seriously.
If you are having a good time, you'll carry the audience. It worked.

I also gave the students tasks to do (drill & tap four trees and collect sap from previously tapped trees). They loved that. It gave them direction and I think it was then that they experienced what I would have been spending hours explaining.

I was surprised how many kids wanted to know WHY maples run sap. I wish I had thought out a really good kid-appropriate explanation.

I figure with 5th graders, they may be even more into it.

If you're going to present at school, can you create a Powerpoint presentation? A picture is worth a 1,000 words....

Another thought, is write out for yourself what you want to teach the kids, and then come up with entertaining stories about sugaring that illustrate the point. If they happen to you personally, that's even better.

And have fun.

collinsmapleman2012
04-01-2011, 10:25 PM
at school, we have a mobile maple exibhit that is going to nyc next week. fifth grade is about the easies grade to do, since they have more understanding than younger children and dont ask really really in depth questions.
biggest thing is to keeep the kids always doing something and involved. ask questions, pick volunteers, etc..
if you are at the school, bring some small sections of trees and taps, pictures, anything that will get their brains flowing in a mapley direction
oh, and have fun!! if you have any other questions pm me:)

P.S.... kids LOVE syrup samples... hint...

fenwick865
04-03-2011, 07:15 PM
Our local school, 5th graders as well, goes on a field trip every year to our Erie County sugar bush. They split into two groups. They discuss how the indians discovered it and how they made it using hot rocks to get it up to temp and so on. They also demonstrate this method which is pretty cool. Then they go look at the tapped trees and follow up with evaporator proccess and tasting. They let the kids use the defractor and hydrometer. And of course at the end they take them into the store part where they can buy maple candy, sugar and syrup.

backyard sugaring
04-03-2011, 09:32 PM
I do it every year for the 4th graders in my home town. We made a video from tapping trees, to boiling, finishing and bottling. The students love it and they have a ton of questions. Good luck