PDA

View Full Version : New guy

lfdiaff
03-31-2011, 09:47 PM
Well thanks to all the helpfull info on this site i just made my first gallon of syrup tonight. I just tapped my first tree 3 days ago.I did not realise so much sap came out of a tree. I own 26 acres and have a bunch of sugar maples. I might have put the cart infront of the horse. I made my gallon of syrup using a turkey fryer. I only have 7 trees tapped and am producing about 30 gallons of sap a day which leads to my delema. It took me 13 hours to boil enough sap for a half gallon. Is there anybody in michigan driving distance from lansing that buys sap. I am ending up with way more then I can make and didnt want to make a wood fired till this summer. HELP:o

firetech
03-31-2011, 11:12 PM
Welcome aboard to the MT family. You are in my hood for sure. I'm the guy who's running the blue tubing and barrels down Grand River Rd east of town. Load yor sap up and bring it over. We are only 900 gals behind but that's the norm here it will all be syrup by Sat pm. 625 6321 Herb. I'll be home from work at 4pm.

lfdiaff
04-01-2011, 02:36 PM
You are the reason I started. I have seen your setup for several years and got me thinking how cool it would be to make my own syrup. I live in town laingsburg and own property in ovid that's where I tap. I am gonna try to make a couple more gallons but any extra I will give you. I need to get some food grade barrels I am transporting in coolers and water bottles so as soon as I get a way to transport several gals I will drop you some off.

fishman
04-01-2011, 05:35 PM
If you want to bring some up to Newberry, I'll take all you want to get rid of. I'll even pay your bridge toll.:lol:

lfdiaff
04-01-2011, 06:42 PM
If gas wasn't 3.75 a gallon I would think about it.

firetech
04-01-2011, 08:20 PM
I have 2 275gal totes not in use right now if that would help or a couple of 55 gal drums which ever would work we can pump out of either. My shift starts a 2 am on the evaporator no phone in the sugar house. Tyrrell rd east of Beerdslee down about 1 1/2 mile look for the maple syrup sign. Hope to meet you soon Herb

Tweegs
04-01-2011, 08:32 PM
Welcome aboard!

I'm in the neighborhood, too.

Don't need any sap though, our last hoo-rah is going to be Sunday. Going to shut her down and yank the taps after that. I'm spent, the wood pile is about gone and if I have to cut up one more tree, the guys with the white jacket will come a-knockin' for sure.

Besides, Herb is a sucker for punishment. Why he hasn't gone mad yet is beyond me. :lol:

Anyway, just jumped in to say howdy!
(And to razz Herb a bit)

lfdiaff
04-01-2011, 08:38 PM
I might stop out tomorrow. I don't get out of work until 730 am. I would like to just see your setup. I have never seen a pro setup. If you would sell one or two of them 55 gal drums I would buy em. I cant find food grade barrels. The barrels would make it easy to deliver to you.

lfdiaff
04-01-2011, 08:45 PM
Howdy tweegs. Didn't know syrup was so big in the burg.

firetech
04-02-2011, 08:26 PM
Stop on in my shift on the evaporator starts at 3am tommorow. I can only have de caf coffee. Proset up hu, we have a long way to go.

lfdiaff
04-02-2011, 10:10 PM
Sorry herb I keep getting your post late its about 1030 and I am affraid you are asleep if you have to be on the evap at 3. Call me tomorrow I will be up around 7 or 8 and will be home all day. I have some sap for you if you still want it I can't keep up with my two turkey cookers I have about 60 gals and gonna have to pull taps I will be boiling the rest of my life if I don't. My name is luke and my number is 5757140.