PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Syrup Equipment

Troutman10
03-31-2011, 09:38 PM
What do I use to clean my equipment (buckets, coolers, spiles) and my turkey fryer bucket after I've used it for a batch? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

SDdave
04-01-2011, 07:13 AM
One thing I found out is that sap is just like milk. It picks up any cleaner, leaving a nasty product.

I clean out my turkey fryer pots with lots of elbow grease. On the late nights I boil water and then scrub, scrub, & scrub. When the sap wasn't flowing I use a little bit of acid that I got from a dairy supply store. Then rinse, rinse, and rinse.

As for the buckets, I triple rinse every time. If there does get to be the gunky black stuff, which I am certain is mold, I scrub with a clorox solution, then rinse, rinse, rinse, rinse, sniff bucket for any trace of clorox, then rinse and rinse again.

Hope this helps!

SDdave

happy thoughts
04-01-2011, 07:37 AM
BryanEx posted this link last year under the "Maple information on the web" section. It's an excellent resource and well worth reading. You'll find all your answers there.

"How to clean pretty much everything"
http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=8466

PerryW
04-01-2011, 07:39 AM
What do I use to clean my equipment (buckets, coolers, spiles) and my turkey fryer bucket after I've used it for a batch? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

FOr buckets & tanks I put in some hot water with a couple glugs of unscented chlorox, and scrub with something non-abrasive, then rinse well. .

For pans, I use Pan Cleaner (Phosphoric Acid). I fill the pans w/ water, heat it up to about 170-180 then put about 1 quart in the back pan and 1 quart in the front pan. The nitre peels right off in the back pan in about 20 minutes then I rinse with water & baking sode (to neutralize the acid) then rinse again. The front pan I let soak for several hours then use the green scotchbright pads, then rinse the same as the back pan.

smokeyamber
04-05-2011, 02:44 PM
For pans I just tried the suggestion I found here, vinegar ! Filled the bottome inch of the pans, left overnight and the niter just pealed right off ! The burnt sides were another matter, scraping was all that worked there. If I had a few gallons of vinegar I think it would have done the whole pan as well.:)

I rinse everything else ( buckets, storage containers ) in hot water and let dry outside if possible in the sun.