PDA

View Full Version : Fry oil filters?

happy thoughts
03-31-2011, 08:53 AM
I was at a restaurant supply store the other day and came across boxes of these.

http://www.instawares.com/efc10-10-inch-non-woven-filter-cone.efc10.0.7.htm?LID=IWAMZ&ci_src=23393768&ci_sku=EFC10

They're frying oil filters made of a non woven material that looks a lot like the syrup prefilters though smaller. Has anyone ever tried these? Might be good for a small home producer like me. These are cheap enough to use once and toss. You can also buy large sheets by the case very reasonably.

Merklin Maples
04-01-2011, 06:22 AM
I was at a restaurant supply store the other day and came across boxes of these.

http://www.instawares.com/efc10-10-inch-non-woven-filter-cone.efc10.0.7.htm?LID=IWAMZ&ci_src=23393768&ci_sku=EFC10

They're frying oil filters made of a non woven material that looks a lot like the syrup prefilters though smaller. Has anyone ever tried these? Might be good for a small home producer like me. These are cheap enough to use once and toss. You can also buy large sheets by the case very reasonably.

When I started that is what I used. They do work some. I was happier with the end result when I bought a Orlon Filter. Finished product is a lot cleanerwith Orlon.

Ausable
04-01-2011, 06:38 AM
Yep -- I have used them too -- same problem -- they load up quick. If just making 2 or 3 gallons of syrup - they would probably be ok --- Mike

happy thoughts
04-01-2011, 08:01 AM
Thanks for the feed back, all. I'm pretty much in the 2-3 gallon range now so I just might try them. Presently I don't filter at all, just let things settle out. The prefilters I saw at the hardware store were going for around $2.50 each and looked a little too large for my small production needs. And they were asking around $20 for the main filter sock. I was tempted to make my own filters from polyester felt but started thinking about the food grade thing. These just might meet my needs.

Again, thanks for the feedback :)