PDA

View Full Version : Refractometer seem's to read high ??

rtoutfitter
03-30-2011, 08:42 PM
I calabrated the refrac with distilled water to 0 than went to test trees, were an average of around 3.1 to 4.5 so I cleaned it and took up a handfull of snow and dropped a couple drips and it read 1.3 any suggestions.

TF Maple
03-30-2011, 09:28 PM
I think it is the cold temperature that makes a higher reading, but I haven't done any research on it, just guessing. Zero it with the distilled water then make an ice cube with distilled water and melt some to see if it is the cold temp or not.

DrTimPerkins
03-31-2011, 06:28 AM
I calabrated the refrac with distilled water to 0 than went to test trees, were an average of around 3.1 to 4.5 so I cleaned it and took up a handfull of snow and dropped a couple drips and it read 1.3 any suggestions.

1. Is the refractometer an ATC (automatic temperature compensation) model?

2. If you allow the sap to sit on the prism for very long and it is warm or windy, you get some evaporation occurring, concentrating the sugar. You need to get a drop or two then measure it fairly quickly.

3. Did you measure syrup with it and then not clean it thoroughly?

4. Incorrect calibration.

christopherh
03-31-2011, 06:39 AM
I had a similar problem. I finish my syrup the a hydrometer. I stop when my red line barely floats above the syrup. I always put some in the fridge to test it cold. This time my E-Maple Refractometer is giving me readings of 69-70. I'm puzzled. I just dropped it off at Misco yesterday for a calibration. I also zero it everyday with distilled water. Would having the hydrometer redline above the syrup be the problem? Should I stop when the red line is below?

rtoutfitter
03-31-2011, 07:30 AM
no its not the atc model, there is a chart that came with it for temp percentage and im already deducting for that. Maybe I just have some really good trees. I'll keep working with it.