PDA

View Full Version : Mystery leaks?!

wdchuck
03-30-2011, 07:48 PM
Ok, so things finally thawed out today and everything started to run well. The only problem was that the vac at the releaser took a major plummet, so off on leak patrol I went. The problem was that a lot of drops had pulled off the tees- I mean a lot- vac was down to 5 in the woods! What caused this? I'm totally mystified, but i'll have to assume that it had something to do with all the lines being frozen....any ideas?

cherryfarmer
03-30-2011, 08:22 PM
I have had the same problem in the past and also today. I find it only has happened on leader dropline tubing. I think it was memory flex. It only happens to my drop lines.

Thad Blaisdell
03-30-2011, 08:55 PM
I snuck up in your woods and randomly pulled them out.:evil: But while I was doing that someone came and did the same to me..... It was caused by the long freeze that we had. The sap froze, and then ran a little and froze, completely filling the drop and spout. Froze, and pushed the drop right off the tap.

wdchuck
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
After puzzling over it for a while, thats the answer I came up with too-thanks for beating me to the punch though!

Brian Ryther
03-30-2011, 08:59 PM
Same thing for me today. One after another. As they thawed out vac would plumit. I found 4 pushed apart. Because of how hard the sap was running I did not have meny left over cfm's to make up for the open ended laterials. Meny miles of line walked today.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-30-2011, 09:39 PM
ill keep my Poultney trees

Snow Hill Farm
03-30-2011, 10:21 PM
Same thing here, after things finally thawed out vacuum was at 5, found 7 spouts off and two broken manifolds, first time manifolds have broke. Back in business at 23.5, got a gallon per tap today even though I didn't get things fixed until 5 pm...

PerryW
03-31-2011, 06:06 AM
Ok, so things finally thawed out today and everything started to run well. The only problem was that the vac at the releaser took a major plummet, so off on leak patrol I went. The problem was that a lot of drops had pulled off the tees- I mean a lot- vac was down to 5 in the woods! What caused this? I'm totally mystified, but i'll have to assume that it had something to do with all the lines being frozen....any ideas?

I found 3 or 4 drops that were hanging yesterday and dripping sap along with a couple fittings that popped and a couple squirrel bites. Probably 50 taps out of 650 that were running on the ground. I was thinking it was because of the wind that accompanied the cold weather. I'm glad I caught them before the sap started running.

sapman
03-31-2011, 01:30 PM
We've found many stubbies pulled out of the CVs. And it's always after a freeze, so I agree with the verdict. Also, most multi-fittings that had sitting sap in the line during the cold spell, were leaking, many with icicles.

Brian Ryther
03-31-2011, 04:41 PM
I was wondering what brand tubing everybody is using that had the fittings push apart. All of mine were on 3 year old white 30P.

adk1
03-31-2011, 07:44 PM
any problem with saddle fittings during freeze/thaw periods?

wdchuck
04-01-2011, 06:19 AM
No problems with saddle fitttings whatsoever- I would think that if they had a pre-existing leak, they'd freeze up much faster, and then, you'd have a problem. i always carry a pair of vice-grips to get them on tight....

brookledge
04-01-2011, 07:25 PM
I use 30P for laterals and 4 seasons for drops. Never have any problem with the lines freezing and causing problems. Varmits is another issue. But after a hard freeze some check valves will get pushed out alittle and cause small leaks. I can usually cruze along quickly along the mainline and check each lateral at the manifold if there is a leak then have to track it down, otherwise move right on to the next one.
I feel this years check valve is holding in the trees better than last years.

Big John
04-04-2011, 06:56 AM
that is why you keep the vac on 24/7.