PDA

View Full Version : Help with local food grade liners or juice drum?

CitySlicker
03-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Hey folks - we have one of those good problems - my two 50 gallon juice drums are full, and I have nowhere to put the additional sap that I wont be boiling until Saturday!

I read some previous threads about how I most certainly do NOT want to use a plastic trash can to store sap, but I was hoping that I might be able to get a food grade liner for a trash can!??

Does anyone have any ideas of where I could grab one of those tomorrow? I'm in Hopkinton NH.

I'm not really looking for a 275 gallon storage tank, but if anyone knows where to get another 50 gallon juice drum, that would work too...

happy thoughts
03-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Only thing I can suggest is to hit the groceries and bakeries and beg for their discarded buckets. If you're lucky you might be able to get a dozen on short notice. Around here they're free.

The plastic inside ice chests is also food grade to the best of my knowledge. If you have a large chest, use it if you feel its clean enough. Just make sure to ice the sap in there somehow if possible- maybe freeze some sap in a couple of ziplock bags. A few people here who have used coolers for sap storage have felt the sap sometimes gets funky when stored in them. Keeping the sap as cold as possible would help I think.

Dill
03-30-2011, 08:13 PM
"The Barrel Guy" here in Northwood. He's right on Rt 4 after the 43 intersection before Rt 152. I know he's under 20 for barrels, havent bought one in a couple years.
I have a spare 30 gallon ginger ale barrel, in the sugar house if you want it. PM me, I'll be around tomorrow.