PDA

View Full Version : Can you clean a wool filter sock

smokeyamber
03-30-2011, 03:21 PM
Ok, so I have filter sock that for some reason imparted a wet wool taste to a batch of syrup, any ideas on how I can clean it ? Boiling ? I would love to just grab another one, but to get one is a bit of drive... for now I am just using the prefilters and letting it settle. Just a small timer. Only reason I care about stuff settling is I give it away to friends and they may no like decanting it like homebrew to keep from stiring up the sediment.

Can't wait to get home to see if it is running, south facing slope should be kicking off ...

Danby Bovey
03-30-2011, 05:40 PM
put them in washer with no detergent should be fine turn them inside out

PerryW
03-31-2011, 06:04 AM
if you'd quit using your filters as socks, they wouldn't smell so bad.:lol:

sugar ED
03-31-2011, 08:44 AM
PerryW, good one!,lol. And Danby is rite too ,but I also dip mine in boiling water for about 3 to 5 min.'s (after washing) ,,,,maybe just more work ,but I've did it for years,and one of mine is over 6 years old ,cause I'm cheap ,lol ,but like thing clean tooo!( p.s. that one has now been demoted to a sap filter)

smokeyamber
03-31-2011, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the ideas... I will do the wash and boil on it and then test run some hot water through it. Hope it works.

I have heard you can freeze the filter instead of trying to get it all the way dry ... seems like that would help since I think the issue was it did not dry fully and thus picked up the smell.

Ideas on storage ?

happy thoughts
03-31-2011, 12:36 PM
Can you hang it in the sun to dry? Maybe use a cone shaped form like a big funnel so it holds it's shape better. Sunlight should get it good and dry and further help sanitize it.

Miles M
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
Hahaha just wanted to add a chuckle