PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone buying sap in Mosinee?

Hog Creek Gardens
03-30-2011, 10:22 AM
I have a small amount of sap and am wondering if anyone is interested. What started out as a fun project for our kids has gotten too big for us! It appears to have a high sugar content as it is cooking at 23-24:1. If someone is close to our home, I could run it over...

Thanks!

Hog Creek Gardens
03-30-2011, 01:03 PM
Hello all.... 16 gallons of clean sap from yesterday....I'm running out of room and will have to dump it. Our turkey cooker evaporator can't keep up! Or does anyone know who buys in Marathon county?

Thanks!

Kev
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Hello all.... 16 gallons of clean sap from yesterday....I'm running out of room and will have to dump it. Our turkey cooker evaporator can't keep up! Or does anyone know who buys in Marathon county?

Thanks!
I think part of the lack of response is that your 16 gallons might make just under 1/2 a gallon of syrup and will only extend the boil of most producers a few to several minutes. if sap is now running again in your area, many people probably lose more than you have, just flushing out tanks.
JUst a guess though. or they are all out collecting and boiling :)
But now if you had several hundred gallons that was just as fresh, it might be a different story.
IF I were willing to buy sap from someone, I still would not buy from just anyone. I would be buying from someone I already know personaly.
I would want to know for positive how it has been handled. it has less to do with not trusting my fellow man(or woman) but in the confidence of knowing since my livelyhood depends on it( if I were a producer making an income from this)
but either way good luck! I hope someone wants it

Hog Creek Gardens
03-30-2011, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the reply Kev -
My parents buy sap by the point but are too far away to be practical. They recommended starting out on this website to locate people in our area. It would be nice to establish a relationship with someone as we have access to 100 acres of hardwoods and would enjoy the opportunity to work with someone in the future! I'm not sure we'd be up for the cooking part yet (outside of the turkey cooker set up!) Thanks again .... the 16 is up to 20...drip, drip, dribble!!:lol:

Kev
03-30-2011, 03:57 PM
I could be completely off base too!

Jeff E
03-30-2011, 04:04 PM
If you just so happen to be cruising by Spooner with your sap, I would buy!:mrgreen:

Hog Creek Gardens
03-30-2011, 04:18 PM
Thanks all! Found someone! Had 25 gallons by this afternoon! They'll take the rest of the season's too!:cool:

Kev
03-30-2011, 04:46 PM
Thanks all! Found someone! Had 25 gallons by this afternoon! They'll take the rest of the season's too!:cool:

glad to hear it!
one of those times a guy(me) likes being wrong. :D

bearair
04-05-2011, 05:25 AM
I stopped by JeffE's place on Friday, He has a top notch operation. Thanks for showing us around.

maple connection
04-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Hog creek gardens, I just happen to come across your need to sell some sap. I wish I would have seen it earlier. I buy sap and I am located about 6 miles south of Marathon City. Give me a call if you have some or keep me in mind for next year. Thanks, Kevin
715-218-3237

Hog Creek Gardens
04-17-2011, 01:16 PM
Kevin K -
Just saw your post today! You're not far from us! We'll work on a better system for collecting and hauling & I'll save your number for next year! Thanks!!