PDA

View Full Version : Too much fun!

MN Jake
03-29-2011, 11:16 PM
I just ordered 3 tapes and bags last week, got them in on saturday and today I ordered 5 more. This is the most addicting thing I have ever done in the woods. The last 4 days I have been searching for more info and came across The Maple Trader. Lots of good info. Thanks!:D

3rdgen.maple
03-29-2011, 11:21 PM
I just ordered 3 tapes and bags last week, got them in on saturday and today I ordered 5 more. This is the most addicting thing I have ever done in the woods. The last 4 days I have been searching for more info and came across The Maple Trader. Lots of good info. Thanks!:D

Yeah just wait till you order a few thousand feet of tubing and a few hundred taps and are desperatley searching for a bigger evaporator and larger holding tanks and more trees only to turn around and order a few more thousand feet of tubing and more taps and a bigger evaporator ahhhhh heck welcome aboard.

MN Jake
03-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Thats what I have been told, and most likely how it will end up!

backyard sugaring
03-30-2011, 07:00 AM
You will realize you are addicted when!
When you make your first gallon and it cost you twice what you could buy it for. Then you spend your summer looking for food grade buckets and any stainless steel you can get your hands on. You spend all night boiling and still go to work in the morning. What a Hobby. Thanks MapleTrader.

Kev
03-30-2011, 08:47 AM
Maple syrup making is more addictive than the product produced.

MN Jake
03-30-2011, 08:48 AM
There are a ton of posts in here and I am having trouble finding a strait answer for storing sap. Can someone direct me to a thread that goes into detail.

NH/Pete
03-30-2011, 09:15 AM
There are a ton of posts in here and I am having trouble finding a strait answer for storing sap. Can someone direct me to a thread that goes into detail.

What's the question?

MN Jake
03-30-2011, 09:21 AM
How long can you store sap at what temps, I have it in a barrel in the snow and shade right now but the snow isn't going to last much longer. So whats a good rule of thumb for time frame

C.Wilcox
03-30-2011, 10:00 AM
A good general rule is that it has the same storage requirements and shelf life as unpasteurized milk.