PDA

View Full Version : Drawing Off Depth?

mike z
03-29-2011, 10:00 PM
New to drawing off this year. I have a pan that has a 1.5" fitting near the bottom. I have seen other pans with the off-set box and fitting that allow the pan to be completely emptied. How can you tell the syrup depth in the pan as you draw off with all the foam? How do you keep from burning the pan? I would like to have the fitting lowered so I can drain the pan better when cleaning, but I do feel like it gives me some breathing room.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-30-2011, 05:30 AM
your draw off depth is what ever you have set on your float box running at full tilt. I run mine at 1" and it pretty much stays right at that level during draw and boiling.

PerryW
03-30-2011, 06:01 AM
New to drawing off this year. I have a pan that has a 1.5" fitting near the bottom. I have seen other pans with the off-set box and fitting that allow the pan to be completely emptied. How can you tell the syrup depth in the pan as you draw off with all the foam? How do you keep from burning the pan? I would like to have the fitting lowered so I can drain the pan better when cleaning, but I do feel like it gives me some breathing room.

Add a few drops of defoamer to the front pan to calm down the boiling enough to see what the syrup depth is in the front pan. I run my front pan about 1.5" deep.

danno
03-30-2011, 08:39 AM
If you are drawing off syrup, I really think you need to get the draw off valve to the bottom of the pan, or run your pans very deep = 3"+.

Regarding measuring your depth, if your pan is level, you should be able to measure the other side of the pan that is not foaming to get depth. That's what I do. Depth should be the same if the pan is level. Assuming you are not foaming on the other side of your pan. I don't know if you have a channeled pan.

mike z
03-31-2011, 07:39 AM
I have two channeled pans connected together, = 2' X 8.5'. They are level. But most of the time when I draw it's foaming in the front section. When the valve is opened, the pan depth is 1/4". It would be nice to drain the pan completely for cleaning. I assume that's how most pan drains work. I would need to lower the connections then too. Maybe not worth it. Thanks for the replies.