PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of an Upgrade Already

Troutman10
03-29-2011, 09:13 PM
I'm thinking of making a small backyard arch for next year. How is a chimney attached to an arch? Does anyone have pictures of this? I'd like to use cinderblocks, firebricks and whatever else will get the job done so I can put a good sized pan or two on top. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

bushmoose
03-30-2011, 07:10 AM
As a newbie on here myself, all I can suggest is start surfing through this site. There's a wealth of info/pictures and stories that should answer all your questions.

Kev
03-30-2011, 08:13 AM
search "block arch" you should get a bunch of good info

C.Wilcox
03-30-2011, 08:24 AM
Try this link. http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=12045

eschoon
03-30-2011, 11:53 AM
What I used last year was one chimney block set on edge at the back of the block arch. Fill the corner holes to prevent most leaks and find the correct size stove pipe elbow to fit the center hole. Add as much stack on the elbow as you need and support as necessary.

sams64
03-30-2011, 03:09 PM
I will try and get some picture next week when I take mine apart. In the mean time here is what I did. I built my block arch so that my there was a small opening in the back that would fit a 90 degree register. I placed the square piece opening into the arch and connected my pipe going up at 90 degrees and supported by 3 wires like a tent pole. To keep it tight I tossed a little quikcrete around the register and made a steel plate that dropped around the pipe to hold it in place and make a clean lip to rest the back pan on.

Hope this helps.

sam

Starting Small
03-30-2011, 06:40 PM
Is the fire brick on the block arch's to keep the heat in or is the purpose to protect the cinder blocks from cracking? I boiled last night on my block arch and 3 cinder blocks holding up the stack had a big crack through all three.