PDA

View Full Version : Weather Question

Troutman10
03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
This is my second post as I'm new to Maple Syrup. The long term forecast for where I live and tap is low 30's for lows and low 40's for highs. Are these ok temps? Will sap run overnight in these temps? How do I know when to stop collecting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

collinsmapleman2012
03-29-2011, 09:12 PM
generally, you need nights in the 20s and days in the 40s. stop collecting when the sap changes color, or is cloudy.

PerryW
03-30-2011, 06:17 AM
This is my second post as I'm new to Maple Syrup. The long term forecast for where I live and tap is low 30's for lows and low 40's for highs. Are these ok temps? Will sap run overnight in these temps? How do I know when to stop collecting? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Think of the freezing as recharging the trees. Once the trees are frozen, they will run as soon as temps get high enough above freezing to melt ice. The ideal weather is 40 during the day and 20 at night, so the trees "recharge" every night. Sap flow usually stops at night because it cools down to freezing or below, but it the trees are "recharged" well after a real good freeze, they will sometimes run all night if the temps stay above freezing.

When you hear the peepers, you will know the season is over. The syrup will start to have an off-flavor.

Pete S
03-30-2011, 06:22 AM
The low of 20 and highs in the 40's is awesome.

BUT from my limited experience:

1.) Wind takes a toll on the amount of sap produced. Real windy = reduced sap production.

2.) The south exposed trees typically run sooner as the sun warms them I suppose.

3.) Some days when you go out to gather, there will be trees that have done nothing, and just start pumping like crazy.

4.) With a small operation you either have not enough sap to mess with, or too much and the weather or your stupid job won't let you boil it down.

5.) There will be time you kind'a wonder why you're doing all this, but that's OK,............just keep doing it.

SDdave
03-30-2011, 06:24 PM
Pete S

1.) yes
2.) yes
3.) yes
4.) More like... Boss thinks since the snow is gone you need to be working 50 hrs a week in the rain or resweeping & reorganizing the shop that you just did the day prior. Hey I'm not mad, but I do feel a bad cold coming on Thur & Fri.;)
5.) yes

Troutman- I quit collecting when my wife tells me to.

On a side note: I wear the pants in the family after I do her laundry.

SDdave