PDA

View Full Version : Correcting Density

SeanD
03-29-2011, 12:01 PM
Sorry I'm all questions these days.

All my drawn syrup is 1.5 to 2 points over so I'll be adding water to bring it down. Does it matter what temperature I do this at?

It would be nice to do this while everything is cold because the buckets of syrup are at a pretty constant 40 deg. and it's a lot easier for me to get accurate reads when the temperature isn't moving. Or does the water not blend evenly when things are cold?

Thanks,
Sean

PerryW
03-29-2011, 12:18 PM
I check my density while I'm heating it up, usually about 100 degrees or more. If I check it a 40 degrees, the hydrometer is so sluggush I;m not sure if I'm getting a good reading

Just get a temperature chart vs. Baume Density chart and find out how many tenths you are too thick:

the formula:
For every 1/10 of a point (Baume) your syrup is high...

add 3/5 ounce water per gallon.

example:
if you have 10 gallons of syrup and it tests out 0.5 points (or 5 tenths of a point) too high...

3/5 x 5 x 10 = 30 ounces of water

Mac_Muz
03-31-2011, 08:21 AM
Question? Could you use sap instead of water?

SeanD
04-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I let the syrup come up to room temp. which is just above 60 deg. I used water to correct the density and I'm blown away how spot on those tables are. I was a little timid adding the amount it said to, so I did it in stages, checking the density each time. Only when I had the whole amount added, did it drop down to syrup. Amazing.

I have a new question, though. As I stirred in water, I hit the bottom of the bucket and could hear and feel sugar crystals on the bottom. Not a thick layer, but enough to know they are there.

I was only a point and a half over, so I was surprised they were there. Is that typical? It's a 5 gallon bucket. Will a hot soak in the sink be enough to dissolve them back into the liquid?

Thanks,
Sean

Mac_Muz, you can use sap, but you have to check the density of it first. Once you know that, you can look up the amount you need to add. The table I'm using is on page 184 of the North American Maple Syrup Producers Manual.

maple flats
04-20-2011, 05:57 PM
Question? Could you use sap instead of water?

possible during the season, but not after. I use water during the season as well. I do it hot, as I get ready to hot pack. I never tried cold but I'd guess it would mix harder cold. Might not get uniform density throughout the batch. I needed to add water on all but one batch, but rarely very much. The most I had to add this season was just over 2 qts water on an 18 gal batch, most needed less.

PerryW
04-20-2011, 06:16 PM
I would use water instead of raw sap unless you bring the sap to a boil first.

Raw sap would still have all the live microorganism in it. If you added it to finished syrup, they might not get killed since the temp does NOT exceed 200 on reheat.

SeanD
04-29-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a new question, though. As I stirred in water, I hit the bottom of the bucket and could hear and feel sugar crystals on the bottom. Not a thick layer, but enough to know they are there.

I was only a point and a half over, so I was surprised they were there. Is that typical? It's a 5 gallon bucket. Will a hot soak in the sink be enough to dissolve them back into the liquid?

Thanks,
Sean

I ended up giving the buckets a soak in the sink, stirring from time to time. I got the syrup temp. up to 90 degrees and eventually, the crystals dissolved. I ended up being another half point over and had to recorrect them.

Sean

maple marc
05-01-2011, 10:43 PM
On occasion I have gone over and had some small crystals on the bottom of the vat. I usually adjust density at room temperature. However, my feeling is that at room temperature, not all the crystals will dissolve back into solution immediately, and you may not be adjusting completely down to the correct density. So now what I do if I see crystals is to reheat the syrup enough to dissolve the crystals before I measure density and adjust.