PDA

View Full Version : Sap run to the north

white mt
03-29-2011, 07:13 AM
sap runs to the north from what I read on hear and see in my own bush are always a few deg to cold for good runs so far . To the south parts of the state it looks to be ahead of us in sap. Any one know how canada is doing.

PerryW
03-29-2011, 09:10 AM
No sap in my Littleton Bush since last thursday. Maybe run today a little, but I doubt it. Too much for too long for a high of 36 to get the trees running.

I'm at 31 gallons (all medium except 5 gals of fancy) and I'm hoping for 110 gallons this year.

Homestead Maple
03-29-2011, 12:35 PM
I was talking with Bruce Bascom yesterday and he mentioned that Eastern Quebec was at around 10% of a crop. Things should run big time for them, the next week or so.

ennismaple
03-29-2011, 12:45 PM
For us and the other producers in Eastern Ontario that I've spoken to are at 50% of a crop. This should be a good week.

KenWP
03-29-2011, 07:30 PM
End of March for the last couple of years has been cold and then April gets here and we get sap.Guy behind the hog barn was doing okay so far.He was over 200 gallons and he usually does 750 for the season.

Mac_Muz
03-31-2011, 08:48 PM
White Mt, in Tamworth it's running harder than it has since in 07/08 when I first began here. I think it ran all night last night and one other night.

I only have 37 buckets out and these are joint compound like size. Today several were over flowing out the spout holes. They were 1/2 full yesterday when I checked, and by 9am they had gone to almost over flowing while others did over flow. I have a few buckets out I didn't collect, but brought in 130 gallons of sap today.

Also today I finished off a 32 gallon only burn, and got 3qts 1 pint of it, and the wool filter took some I bet. I have questions in the filtering room on that.

Does anyone know the basic ratio this year? It seems near to 32:1 not quite but close.

Also my first hard run made 2 gallons from around 80 gallons of sap and was Grade A dark, then ever since the color is more Medium.

( i have a old color bottle set) What I am calling medium is a little lighter than the sample bottle but not A light Amber either.

PerryW
03-31-2011, 10:42 PM
Running pretty good in Littleton and still running as of 11PM. Made 12 gallons of fancy today.

maple maniac65
04-01-2011, 05:44 AM
ran well on Oreegon Road in Littleton. Picked up 475 gallons off from 550 taps. and 363 were on gravity yesterday because the vaccum ran a 5 pounds all day. Seems that there were at least 10 mjor leaks in the woods when things got thawed out. Oh well the tank was full anyhow.

PerryW
04-01-2011, 07:43 AM
ran well on Oreegon Road in Littleton. Picked up 475 gallons off from 550 taps. and 363 were on gravity yesterday because the vaccum ran a 5 pounds all day. Seems that there were at least 10 mjor leaks in the woods when things got thawed out. Oh well the tank was full anyhow.

Also found lots of leaks yesterday and the day before. It was well worth the effort to trudge around for a couple hours. Picked up 275 gallons of sap at 6:30 PM yesterday from Skinny Ridge Road in Littleton. Then it ran another 150 gallons overnight. Last 15 gallons have been Fancy.