PDA

View Full Version : good news for Maple Producers in Michigan

Mapleman(Greg)
03-29-2011, 06:46 AM
check this out for all you small producers.We can cook at home,no certified kitchen.
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/mda/MDA-CFFAQ-MASTER_327558_7.pdf

Kev
03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
so the maple syrup falls under jams and jellies?
and not the temp sensitive catagory?

I had read about this law when your state passed it. I thought Now there is a state trying to improve their economy in a logical way!
My state seems to be operating under the myth that the more they tax and regulate and increase fees the more funds they will have.
All they are really doing is driving bussiness out of the state. raise taxes on local owned bussiness and give more breaks to companys from japan, china, ect.:mad:

twofer
03-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Keep in mind that the cottage food bill does not allow internet sales.

holey_bucket
03-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Keep in mind that the cottage food bill does not allow internet sales.

I haven't read it yet, but we might be able to get around that by having the "advertisement" online, and making the payment over the phone...

Mapleman(Greg)
03-31-2011, 07:05 AM
I have found articles that mention Maple syrup for sure.As for internet sales you could advertise where you will be on set days and meet your customers there.For example I set up at garage sales around town.It helps the sale and brings me customers.

Paperman
04-06-2011, 06:07 AM
I read this and think I may have to move the 2X6 into the kitchen. If I finish can it in the kitchen then is it "made" in the kitchen?

From above linked doc.

"Can I make the Cottage Food products in an outbuilding on my property, like a shed or a barn? No, the law requires the Cottage Food products be made in your kitchen and stored in your single family domestic residence. Approved storage areas include the basement and attached garage of the home where the food is made."

Ausable
04-06-2011, 06:30 AM
so the maple syrup falls under jams and jellies?
and not the temp sensitive catagory?

I had read about this law when your state passed it. I thought Now there is a state trying to improve their economy in a logical way!
My state seems to be operating under the myth that the more they tax and regulate and increase fees the more funds they will have.
All they are really doing is driving bussiness out of the state. raise taxes on local owned bussiness and give more breaks to companys from japan, china, ect.:mad:

Well Kev -- Maybe Michigan finally got something right. I really like my State - but - Michigan is the only State to loose Population in the last Census and that kind of says it all.... In the Northern Counties where I live - Unemployment has been around 20% for several years. Detroit - Motown - has lost over half the population it once had --- So -- I make Maple -- and Pray for a better tomorrow for Michigan ......

michiganfarmer2
04-06-2011, 08:18 AM
Well, Im already licensed, and IM not gona move my 3x12 into my kitchen,lol

Although, I did have plans to built the saphouse as an addition on the end of the kitchen, but the one who must be obeyed shot that idea down.

fishman
04-06-2011, 08:20 AM
Hey, you could put a top on it and use it as a poker table in the off season. Maybe a bar and serve boiling soda's. Possiblities are endless with government intervention.

michiganfarmer2
04-06-2011, 08:22 AM
Hey, you could put a top on it and use it as a poker table in the off season. Maybe a bar and serve boiling soda's. Possiblities are endless with government intervention.

HAHAHAHAHA! sure could. It would make a fantastic island

michiganfarmer2
04-06-2011, 08:23 AM
Actually, my current island in my kitchen is 42" by 10 feet with a piece of maple bowling ally lane for the top

Kev
04-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Actually, my current island in my kitchen is 42" by 10 feet with a piece of maple bowling ally lane for the top

mini shuffle board for the really old :D

fishman
04-06-2011, 07:49 PM
What do you use for pins on your bowling alley- beer bottles?