PDA

View Full Version : It's a maple sugar daddy!

John c
03-28-2011, 09:33 PM
After making some really good hard candy Saturday by cooking some of my syrup to 300, I decided to play around tonight and make some softer candy, so I boiled up some syrup op to 260 and BINGO! I poured it onto a greased cookie sheet and put it outside for 10 mins. This stuff came out picture perfect, it's just like a sugar daddy! I'll never cook past 260 again!!!

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 09:36 PM
Man those are some high temps you are boiling at.

John c
03-28-2011, 09:40 PM
Man those are some high temps you are boiling at.

What temp do you make 100% maple candy at?

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 10:00 PM
Had to get my Plastic cheat card that Jerry sent me. Heres the rundown.
Sugar on snow 232-234
maple cream 233-235
maple candy 236-240
hard sugar 245-248
indian sugar 255-265

John c
03-28-2011, 10:13 PM
Had to get my Plastic cheat card that Jerry sent me. Heres the rundown.
Sugar on snow 232-234
maple cream 233-235
maple candy 236-240
hard sugar 245-248
indian sugar 255-265

That's good info! I got the 300 temp somewhere off this forum, so I tried it and it worked good for really hard candy, but I wanted something more chewy and just kinda played around a bit and found that 260 offered me what I was looking for!? Are you adding anything else or just syrup only? I'm using only syrup.

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 10:27 PM
That's good info! I got the 300 temp somewhere off this forum, so I tried it and it worked good for really hard candy, but I wanted something more chewy and just kinda played around a bit and found that 260 offered me what I was looking for!? Are you adding anything else or just syrup only? I'm using only syrup.

NO additives at all. Why ruin a good thing. lol It sounds like you are making taffe. Never tried it and the only difference from what I gather between turning it into sugar or taffe is your taking the stirring part out of the equation. Out of all the candy stuff made maple candy coated cashews are my favorite. Heat 8 oz of syrup to 243 degrees for every I pound of nuts. imediately pour the syrup over the nuts and take a wooden spoon and stir them till the tackyness goes away and it turns into a granulated sugar coated nut. Very good stuff.

John c
03-28-2011, 10:38 PM
NO additives at all. Why ruin a good thing. lol It sounds like you are making taffe. Never tried it and the only difference from what I gather between turning it into sugar or taffe is your taking the stirring part out of the equation. Out of all the candy stuff made maple candy coated cashews are my favorite. Heat 8 oz of syrup to 243 degrees for every I pound of nuts. imediately pour the syrup over the nuts and take a wooden spoon and stir them till the tackyness goes away and it turns into a granulated sugar coated nut. Very good stuff.

You are exactly right, I am NOT stirring at all! Is that why my temps are higher than yours?
The cashews sound great, but I am a walnut man myself! When you make the nuts do you stir the syrup as it reaches 243 and if so how much do you stir?
Thanks.

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 10:46 PM
You are exactly right, I am NOT stirring at all! Is that why my temps are higher than yours?
The cashews sound great, but I am a walnut man myself! When you make the nuts do you stir the syrup as it reaches 243 and if so how much do you stir?
Thanks.

Walnuts are good too. Pecans,peanuts all good stuff. I do not touch the syrup while it is heating to 243. Once it is poured over the nuts you are going to pretty much stir it till your hand falls off. The coating on the nuts will turn opaque and the glaze will be gone. Temp is down to about room temperature when done. It actually only takes a few minute to stir it but it is very tacky and stiff at first. Oh a little dab of butter help keeps it in the pan and not boiled over on the stove. A dab of it about the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil does the trick.

John c
03-28-2011, 11:13 PM
Walnuts are good too. Pecans,peanuts all good stuff. I do not touch the syrup while it is heating to 243. Once it is poured over the nuts you are going to pretty much stir it till your hand falls off. The coating on the nuts will turn opaque and the glaze will be gone. Temp is down to about room temperature when done. It actually only takes a few minute to stir it but it is very tacky and stiff at first. Oh a little dab of butter help keeps it in the pan and not boiled over on the stove. A dab of it about the size of the eraser on the end of a pencil does the trick.

Thanks for the info. Walnuts are next on the list!

Mapleman(Greg)
03-29-2011, 06:51 AM
grab a finger full of shortning and rub it around the rim of the pot.What the thermometer till it hits 100 degrees. and you start to see it bubble up fast.Turn down the heat till it settles down then full heat ahead till you get to your temp.Works everytime and if you get a newbie in the kitchen with you their facial expressions are priceless.
No boil overs in a year and a half.

Monster Maples
03-29-2011, 08:44 AM
While this thread sounds good, maple sugar daddy. I am looking for the maple sugar momma. You know, the woman that makes lots of money so I can buy whatever it is for maple I want. If you find one of those, or the recipe to convert one, will you please pm me with that info. Much appreciated.

John c
03-29-2011, 09:43 AM
While this thread sounds good, maple sugar daddy. I am looking for the maple sugar momma. You know, the woman that makes lots of money so I can buy whatever it is for maple I want. If you find one of those, or the recipe to convert one, will you please pm me with that info. Much appreciated.

NICE, lol!!!! They're out there, keep lookin!!!

John c
04-04-2011, 08:07 PM

I made the walnuts tonight. I doubled the amount of syrup though and they came out amazing!!! Thanks so much!

3rdgen.maple
04-05-2011, 12:47 AM
Too bad they dont last long though. Its a very simple process and the end result is awesome.

John c
04-05-2011, 12:09 PM
Too bad they dont last long though. Its a very simple process and the end result is awesome.

You are right there, they don't last long enough! The price of walnuts is pretty high, but for the quality of snack it's well worth it! The good lord knows I have plenty of syrup though! :D