PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning Between Boils

SeanD
03-28-2011, 08:18 PM
My syrup has had a caramel off flavor. It's still delicious, but I know that it is a sign of built up sugar sand. Pulled the liquid off the front pan and sure enough it was like a layer of caramel candy stuck to the bottom of the syrup channel. I got it scraped up and the whole pan is getting a vinegar soak for the scale that I can't scrape up. I'm going to try switching sides more frequently, but I have couple of questions going forward:

1) I currently dip my pre-filters and Orlon filter into the back pan to get any trapped sugar back into the pans before giving them a wash in a separate bucket or the sink. I'm pretty careful not to let what's inside spill out, but now I'm questioning the practice entirely. Am I adding niter back to the mix that is making the problem worse?

2) What should I do with the liquid that was in the front pan before I cleaned it? I filtered it as I pulled it off and got a lot of junk out of it. It still tastes delicious, but has a caramel flavor. Will returning the liquid "caramelized" everything going forward? I'd hate to resweeten the pans this late in the season especially if it is not necessary.

Thanks in advance,
Sean

Dave Puhl
03-28-2011, 08:59 PM
Question 1...been there done that years ago...dont do it at all...
Question 2....I drain my syrup pan after each cook only saving the best stuff you will see the junk on the bottom when that comes out it gets pitched..Ileave the flue pan alone ..unless its going to freeze up..then I get the hot water and rinse the syrup pan out and scrub it some...your syrup pan sounds like it was close to burnning..I think you should start over in the syrup pan....as long as your flue pan isnt too bad....good luck...

3rdgen.maple
03-28-2011, 09:42 PM
Filter it put it back in the pan and boil it down. The fresh sap will push it out and after you draw off what you poured back in you will e in good shape. It does sound like you need to keep on top of your pan cleaning however. Dont be afraid to plug the flue pan off and drain the sweet out of your syrup pan every couple days and let her soak in water and white vinegar overnight and rinse. A clean pan is a good thing.

SeanD
03-29-2011, 06:16 AM
You're right. Cleaning the pan is way easier than I thought it would be and with days between boils there's no excuse for me not to.

Sean