PDA

View Full Version : 5 gallon storage

hambone
03-28-2011, 07:10 AM
I have a customer who would like to buy 20 gallons of syrup for cooking, we were thinking of packaging it in 5 gallon food grade containers. He is concerned with opening a 5 gallon container, using some syrup and wondering if the rest of the opened container would mold or some other problem could arise. Anyone have any ideas about this? Thanks.

happy thoughts
03-28-2011, 08:32 AM
I think mold might be a problem but it depends on how long the unused syrup will sit in an opened container. I'd assume it will be refrigerated after opening. If you think the buckets can take freezing, then that might be worth suggesting.

How much syrup will the buyer be using at one time? Can you package accordingly? With an order that large you might want to go the extra distance to meet their needs. It may mean future sales in the years ahead. Price accordingly if needed if your costs are higher because of packaging in smaller quantities.

hambone
03-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Thanks, I will check his usage and your other thoughts are helpful.

PerryW
03-28-2011, 09:48 AM
If the drums are in a warm place, I would think that could start to mold in as little as two or three weeks (after opening).

Storing it in the fridge or freezer would solve the problem. (Syrup will not freeze solid at freezer temps, just get really thick and hard to pour.)

As a side note, I find I can get 5.5 gallons+- out of each blue 5-gallon drum, but then again, I fill them to the brim.

brookledge
03-28-2011, 09:50 PM
if you are only looking to sell 20 gallons then I think it would be easiest to just put it in gallon jugs and then it will be sealed and he can open it as needed. Unless the buyer has the room to store it in a cooler
Keith

hambone
03-29-2011, 04:28 AM
Thanks for your help, he has decided to take one 5 gallon and the rest in gallons. This should solve any worry of spoilage.