PDA

View Full Version : evaporator

Eddy822
01-17-2006, 08:33 AM
:?: I,m a green horn at this so here goes!. I have a stainless tank in my years of collection. It is 40" H and 40" cir. It seems to be the right thickness for pan.Question, Is there some of the stainless that can be dangeress to your health to use? I have tools and saw to cut to make pan. can this be soldered, or mig welded? What thickness is ok for the stainless? I have read 22 gauge, What thickness is that in inches? any info sure will be helpful. Thanks Ed.

sweetwoodmaple
01-17-2006, 12:20 PM
Welcome to Maple Trader.

Any stainless, to my knowledge, should be ok.

22 gage is approximatel .030" thk. You either have to tig or solder. Mig puts too much heat into the metal and will warp.

Make sure you use lead free if you want to go the solder route.

Brian

Eddy822
01-19-2006, 12:53 PM
Brian, thanks for the reply. I had a chance today to check out the ss tank I have. It is 1/16 inch thick.Is this to thick to use for pans. Thanks for any info anyone can give me.If it can be used, would making the back pan like a acordian be helpful ? Thanks Ed

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-19-2006, 01:49 PM
Ed,

1/16" would probably be about 12 gauge, but I am not exactly sure. It would be awful thick to make a pan out of as stainless is not a good conductor of heat anyway and the thicker it is, the harder it would be to get it to boil. :?

WF MASON
01-21-2006, 04:29 AM
1/16'' thick is 16 gauge , not to thick to use , easier for a novice to work with if its going to be welded, its pretty much impossible to burn it up,and if you can get enough fire under it , it will boil.
I've seen many 'homemade'pans made from 16 gauge. And if you ever get shot at while your boiling , you'll know you'll be safe be hind your evaporator!!

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
01-21-2006, 07:25 AM
WF,

Thanks for correcting me. I should have known you would know the answer to it. My last backyard pan I had made was a 3x7 pan that was made out of 16 gauge and it boiled very good. I sold it to JohnM who is in IN and he made a bunch of syrup on it last year and I think he can boil off around 25 gph.

It is would be much easier to work with and you would be able to find someone willing to weld it a lot easier than you would 20 gauge! :D

Eddy822
01-21-2006, 03:21 PM
Thanks for the info, I'll let everyone know how things are going.How would the acordian part work on the bottom of the back pan ? thanks Ed