PDA

View Full Version : too late to tap a few?

Forrest hunters
03-27-2011, 04:30 PM
It looks like this might be the last good week here in the Grand Rapids area. I have 24 taps with buckets out, but does anyone think it would be to late or hurt the trees if I made a few of the home made PVC bag holders and put out a half dozen more of so? Looking to grab some of the best runs we may get this year.

glassman
03-27-2011, 04:56 PM
go for it. i dont think it will hurt a thing. should be a good run. i wish my taps were that fresh.

Kev
03-27-2011, 05:02 PM
LOL
with the weather we have had since I pulled everything here. I wish I had left the hard maples tapped and tapped a bunch more hards with the spiles I pulled from the softs!
even if I had to throw together a block arch and switch to wood for the remainder. The fuel tank is empty and I am NOT calling the fuel guy again this year for a hobby @ 3.50 per gallon.

Ausable
03-27-2011, 08:28 PM
It looks like this might be the last good week here in the Grand Rapids area. I have 24 taps with buckets out, but does anyone think it would be to late or hurt the trees if I made a few of the home made PVC bag holders and put out a half dozen more of so? Looking to grab some of the best runs we may get this year.

Like the Others said -- Go for it. -- I'm still waiting for my first good run - One so so day up here and the rest toooooo Cold -- If You can believe the weather guessers -- the week coming up looks good ----

Forrest hunters
03-27-2011, 08:51 PM
Made 10 of the PVC things today and grabbed some barb fitting that are bigger than I wanted but 1/2" is on 1/16 bigger than the 7/16 spiles. I did sand them down and knock off the edges and then put a bit of electrical tape over the edges to hopefully get them in and out of the trees easily. Might be able to use the 7/16 drill bit. Now I just need to fit some bags to ry out here in west michigan.

shane hickey
03-28-2011, 07:05 PM
Made 10 of the PVC things today and grabbed some barb fitting that are bigger than I wanted but 1/2" is on 1/16 bigger than the 7/16 spiles. I did sand them down and knock off the edges and then put a bit of electrical tape over the edges to hopefully get them in and out of the trees easily. Might be able to use the 7/16 drill bit. Now I just need to fit some bags to ry out here in west michigan.

Better hurry up theres only a couple more days that it might run. I have already started to tare down.

Forrest hunters
03-28-2011, 07:37 PM
Put out the 10 taps tonight and the trees were running like crazy before I had the taps and bags on. The ones that have been tapped for a month are barely running. A couple of the ones I did tonight had a good inch in in the 12" wide bag before I even left the woods and I was only there for 1/2 hour. Hope they run like that all week. Probably have to pull them all on Sunday anyway.

Forrest hunters
03-30-2011, 08:04 AM
Picked up last night and had over 11.50 gallons from the 10 new taps the night before and 17 gallons from the other 24 taps I put in around 3-1. A couple of the new taps had 1.67 gallons in 24 hours. Looks like I need to pick up again tonight. Too bad I have to bowl tonight and will be stumbling through the woods in the dark. Hopefully I can talk the wife into letting me borrow my son to hold the flashlight, as he starts spring break today.

glassman
03-30-2011, 06:22 PM
ran ok today. picked up about fifty gallons from sixty some taps. good luck. start a new boil tomorrow.

Forrest hunters
03-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Picked up over 17 gallons yesterday from the 10 taps I put in on Monday and 6 of the 10 bags were overflowing when I got there. Picked up over 38 gallons from everything but 9 taps. It was 11PM by the time I got to them last night and I only picked up the bags and if the buckets were over half full. Do a full pick up tonight and I'm guessing over 50 gallons tonight. Busy weekend coming up of smoke in the eyes and sap in the pans.

glassman
03-31-2011, 06:11 PM
didnt pick up today. lots of sap in the buckets. the kids will pick up the full ones tomorrow morning. then the rest after work. have about 120 going in the tanks and boiler. looks good this week and week end.