PDA

View Full Version : Hard candy!

John c
03-27-2011, 03:47 PM
I just made my first hard maple candy ever and it came out awesome! All I used was a jar of my syrup and nothing else. Heated slowly to 300 and poured onto a cookie sheet. I do believe next time I'll call it good at 290 though because I think it would be more transparent at 290, yet still harden up just fine! Does anybody know for sure?

Mapleman(Greg)
03-28-2011, 07:38 AM
that the candy gets sticky fast and stays sticky which you can fix by dusting them with maple sugar.However I have found the higher temps make a more stable candy.

John c
03-28-2011, 10:30 AM
that the candy gets sticky fast and stays sticky which you can fix by dusting them with maple sugar.However I have found the higher temps make a more stable candy.

Ok cool, so if I were to want to make a candy more chewy (like a sugar daddy) what temp would be recommended? My guess would be about 275-280???

Mapleman(Greg)
03-28-2011, 02:02 PM
and find a ribbon candy recipe online and follow the directions without the extra sugar.Chewy maple seems to be a lot more involved than the sugar and hard candies.

John c
03-28-2011, 02:37 PM
and find a ribbon candy recipe online and follow the directions without the extra sugar.Chewy maple seems to be a lot more involved than the sugar and hard candies.

Excellent, thanks!

patrick
04-12-2011, 05:29 AM
yes it should but may be a tad sticky. ive been playin with diffarnt temps just to see what i came out with. i had some that i took to about 280 -285 and it was a little chewyer then i wanted it so i broke it up and put it backin the pot and added just a couple of drops of water and slowly took it to 305and it worked just fine. hope this helps.

Mapleman(Greg)
04-12-2011, 06:43 AM
I coat my candy with maple sugar no more tacky sticky candy

jluckay
04-12-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm trying to make maple sugar can anyone tell me how it's done.

Mapleman(Greg)
04-13-2011, 07:07 AM
I heat my syrup to 300 LOL I know thats high
then start stiring and stiring and stiring till poof it looks like brown cream of wheat.Spread it out on a flat surface and crush the larger chunks befor it cools.Then grind it (I have a 42 year old African insheli, Mortar and pestle to the rest of you I use) then sift it and your done.