PDA

View Full Version : Filtering niter

notacarpenter
03-27-2011, 02:20 PM
Ok. I had just one batch of syrup(two gallons) that had the niter sludge in the bottom of the quart jars. I let it settle for a couple of weeks, poured off the good stuff, and re-canned it. I tried to take the niter part and filter it out with the orlon filters(didn't re-heat) but I have ended up with about a quart and a half of niter sludge. Am I expecting too much, or is there a way to filter this sediment part as well? I guess I really shouldn't be complaining since it was the only batch that had the niter, all the others were pretty clear. I yielded a total of 7 1/2 gallons overall.

3rdgen.maple
03-27-2011, 03:38 PM
I take it you either didnt filter it when it was hot before bottling or you filtered it then reheated it above 190 and released more niter.

buck3m
03-27-2011, 07:26 PM
I would take the last quart and a half of sludge, let it sit a couple of weeks in the fridge, then pour off the clear and toss the rest. The remainder is going to be mostly niter and most of the syup that's left would be lost in a filter.

KenWP
03-27-2011, 07:46 PM
I read on here of somebody who used the niter for spread on toast. I filtered some really bad stuff by putting the pot with the filter on the wood stove and waited a couple of days and it all went thru for me.