PDA

View Full Version : Who in NE Ohio is holding out for the coming week?

heus
03-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Forecast calls for perfect weather starting Tuesday. Highs 38-43 and lows below freezing through the end of the week. My reds look like they are budding out but my sugars look fine. I think that I will rinse out my evaporator and hope for 3-4 final days of sugarmaking for the year. I finally made some grade B. I absolutely love the taste of it over any other grade. 80% of my 111 gallons Ive made was light amber.

christopherh
03-27-2011, 05:48 PM
I'm still in. My reds are budding and the sugars are trying. We'll see what the next few days bring. Last week I made close to B.

johnallin
03-27-2011, 09:47 PM
I'm still here, but only got one boil last week - on monday night and nothing ran after that.
Would like to get another run in as I've not made any dark at all yet. I'm also real close to another draw in the syrup pan ( like maybe 15 minutes), but ran dangerously low on sap in the tank on my last boil and had to stop firing. If 15 gallons in a 160 gal tank qualifies as getting pretty low.

heus
04-02-2011, 08:03 AM
Is anyone still boiling? My sap is crystal clear (although about 90 of my taps have dried up) but I think my syrup is getting buddy. My dad swears it still tastes good but it seems kind of weird tasting to me. Syrup is lightening up again.

christopherh
04-02-2011, 08:37 AM
I'll be boiling tonight, collected 160 gallons yesterday, mostly from my sugars. Sap is clear. I'll test it later with the refract.

christopherh
04-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Boiled down 275 Gallons last night. I had 2.4 in the tank! Drew off 5 Gallons. Took me 7 hours. Now I've got to figure out how to boil down the rest in the evaporator. This is it for me, checked buckets and theres not much out there.

CrossBroMaple
04-04-2011, 02:01 PM
gathered around 600+ gallons of sap yesterday, sap varied from mostly very clear to some yellowish stuff. will boil it in when i get home this afternoon. im sure this will be it for us as we will go over 100 gallons of syrup made and be out of firewood. all in all very pleased with this years crop!

johnallin
04-04-2011, 02:14 PM
Out of town Fri until Sun afternoon and came home to find most bags are full of sap. By the looks of it, there was one heck of a run in there someplace. Do any of you lake or geauga co guys know which day it ran?

It was all pretty clear and tasted fine, so I collected 140 gal last night and boiled all but 40 of it down. Still have lots out there but I'm thinking 60° temps today will put an end to it. Have not run out of wood yet, but I'm gettin leary of making off flavor and have other projects to get started on.

heus
04-04-2011, 02:22 PM
John,
It ran like crazy I think Friday and Saturday. I have made off tasting syrup the past 10 gallons, even though my sap is still crystal clear. I think I am done boiling new sap, although I have plenty left. I started using house wood 77 gallons ago. I had only cut enough for my goal of 50 gallons.

johnallin
04-04-2011, 05:00 PM
Heus,
Thanks, if what I still have in the woods looks good tomorrow; I'll boil it off. Boiled last night till 11 and still have not make any dark.

3 gal last night was a medium amber and has a great taste.

Still have about 1/4 of my wood left - just losing ambition and tired of filling little 8oz bottles...

christopherh
04-04-2011, 06:01 PM
Same here, ran Friday and Saturday. Sunday slowed down quite a bit. The syrup I made last weekend was medium. I'm gong to collect one more time tomorrow. I was surprised at the sugar content in the last run, 2.4-2.2. I'd say boil away.

John, I know the feeling, those little bottles are annoying but they sell well. My other best sellers are the tall round and square 200ml, 250ml bottles.