PDA

View Full Version : holes closing?

sugaringcrazy
03-27-2011, 07:10 AM
I got anxious around Feb. 20th when there was a warm spell and put in my 50 buckets. Most recently it has been rather chilly here in VT, with no sap as a result, but this week is looking like it's coming with vengeance. My question is, should I be worried about my holes closing up if it warms up and runs good the next week or two. It should be over soon, right? Correct me if I am wrong, but budding out is not only determined by temperature, but also due to increased photoperiod (length of day light). That said, the sugar maple buds are not swollen at all, but the reds are showing signs of swelling.

Mike N RI
03-27-2011, 07:56 AM
We tapped 2/7 down here and with 70F on 3/18, 50% of the taps dried up.

Now we have perfect weather (25F/45F) and they will not produce.

Has anyone ever tried to scuff-up tap holes with a tiny wire cone like on a dremel?

TF Maple
03-27-2011, 08:21 AM
Only a few people claim success after reaming out holes, so most people don't do it. I guess you can do what you want with your own trees.

PerryW
03-27-2011, 08:28 AM
My trees are about 1/2 mile east of Waterford Vt (near St. Johnsbury) and I usually make about half my syrup in April, so I'm figuring the season in still early. Since you have buckets, you can immediately tell if the hole have dried up becasue some of the buckets won't run a drop (usually south side buckets) while the other buckets will still be running at full tilt. Reaming the holes out with the same size drill, will restore the flow for a few days, so if your buckets are all dry, you can decide if it's worth it. In my 22 years of sugraing at this location, I have only reemed 3 times, and I did squeeze an additional 10-20 galllons of syrup by doing so.

BryanEx
03-27-2011, 08:48 AM
Tap holes closing too early would be more of a concern if the sap wasn't running due to warm temps - not cold ones. With cold temperature you are basically keeping your tap holes "in the fridge" so they don't spoil. Be patient and get ready to start swimming in sap within the next week or so.

- Bryan