PDA

View Full Version : Best Way to Clean the Pans?

jcr1709
03-26-2011, 07:28 PM
Today was my last boil even thought the sap was running as well as all season today. I use 24" square 10" deep stainless pans to boil over my fireplace. I often fill them up near to the top and really stoke up the stove and they boil fiercely and have a great evaporation rate.

The down side to this is the top 4" have been getting rather caramel like, glazed. I know just a scrubbie pad with soap and water won't do anything. I know a wire cup brush attached to the angle grinder would remove it, but am thinking that would hurt the pan. Sure, it's stainless, but I'm thinking if you disturb the surface, it would be prone to rust?

Photo attached. Any advice appreciated.

sugarstone
03-26-2011, 08:02 PM
Today was my last boil even thought the sap was running as well as all season today. I use 24" square 10" deep stainless pans to boil over my fireplace. I often fill them up near to the top and really stoke up the stove and they boil fiercely and have a great evaporation rate.

The down side to this is the top 4" have been getting rather caramel like, glazed. I know just a scrubbie pad with soap and water won't do anything. I know a wire cup brush attached to the angle grinder would remove it, but am thinking that would hurt the pan. Sure, it's stainless, but I'm thinking if you disturb the surface, it would be prone to rust?

Photo attached. Any advice appreciated.

sap still running well and today was your last boil...for the year?

best and cheapest method to clean your pans is to fill them right up with sap, let sap sour, it will get scummy and stink and turns to vinegar and that will eat the sugar/niter off your pans.
Dump the mess and most if not all of that sugar sand will be gone. Just take your scrubbie pad to them if not.
A few weeks to a month will be enough..for as long as you can stand the smell.

BryanEx
03-26-2011, 08:44 PM
jcr1709... I just cleaned up a pot that looked very similar to your photo. I used a half jug of white vinegar and some water, heated it up to a boil, then let it sit till it cooled. Next day it all came off really easy with a "scrubby pad".

skillet
03-26-2011, 09:32 PM
Use straight vinegar to cover the bottom of your pan. Let is set for 2 days. Then add enough water to fill you pans. Then let is set for another two days. You will be able to wipe most of it off with you finger or wash cloth. Then rinse with hot water. Works great.

skillet
03-26-2011, 09:33 PM
Sorry just seen your pic, a little elbow grease may be needed for that pan:o.

Bucket Head
03-26-2011, 09:36 PM
The pans look like food service pans- restuarant equipment possibly? If so, their food grade stainless steel. They will never rust regardless of how hard you have to scrub them. They won't be as shiny as they were prior to use and cleaning though. Don't use regular steel wool to clean them or they will rust. Regular steel bristled wire brushes are also a no-no.

Steve