PDA

View Full Version : Sap sack holders

Woody
03-26-2011, 01:14 PM
The pvc sap sack holders weren't our idea but we thought you'd like to see the kind we're using. The taps are simply extensions and work fine at .17 a piece. They told us they wouldn't hold a full bag but they're fine. You can adjust the key hole size and design in the pvc for any tap you want to use. Anyway for what it's worth this is a low cost way to collect sap.
Have a good rest of the season!!!

Kev
03-26-2011, 02:36 PM
were you able to pour sap around the ice?
with open tops like that how much stuff did you get in the bags besides sap?

junior1
03-26-2011, 09:41 PM
the thawed sap pours out just fine and you really dont get much junk into the bag from the top of the pvc. between 6 of us that i know use them we havnt had any trouble in 2 years now of using them.

Woody
03-27-2011, 08:19 AM
Right, they work just fine and nothing really gets in the open top of the holder or the sack. Ice and wind are about the only issues I have with using sacks. Before this last storm we were going to empty them but because they can blow so bad, decided to leave them 1/4 to1/2 full and deal with the ice later. A big run on top of a sack half full of ice is a pain but after a real cold snap as it warms up the ice starts melting a little more each day because of the greenhouse effect inside the bag. So when the big run fianlly comes things are usually equaled out. Plus the ice helps keep the sap colder on warm days. I do wish I had the option of getting rid of it on really full sacks.

BobU
03-27-2011, 09:24 PM
While waiting for the weather to get "right" I made up some of these holders.
Want to see the good and the bad of useing these, they cost almost nothing to make. Sure hope the run starts soon here in WI. Did find that spray paint can lids fit just right over the top of the PVC holder to keep "stuff" out.( I know they are not food safe but they don't ever touch the sap).

junior1
03-27-2011, 09:49 PM
you can buy pvc test caps that plumbers use but then its just one more step every day when you collect. ive thought about doing it just havnt had any problems yet to make me do it.

03-30-2011, 05:58 PM
How do make that little notch an how do the bags attach

junior1
03-30-2011, 07:29 PM
we used a router set upsidedown mounted to the unside of a wood platform. set up a jig dropped it into the jig and spun it by hand. then we used zip straps. i actually did my bags a little different than the picture. i wrapped the entire bag around the pvc then strapped it into the notch. i then folded the 1/2inch or so of excess back down over the strap and ran a couple wraps of black tape around it. the others that i know have done this didnt do the tape.i was just being a little anal i guess

johnzprecision
03-31-2011, 10:14 AM
What size is the PVC pipe and does the cable tie go through the bag. It looks like the cable tie goes through the bag.

mathprofdk
03-31-2011, 10:58 AM
we used a router set upsidedown mounted to the unside of a wood platform.

I don't have a router, but I do have dado blades for my table saw. That could work, too, right? A little dangerous, I suppose. I already have permanent scar tissue in my thumb from the last time I tried something like this. :rolleyes:

Forrest hunters
03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
I made 10 of them in about 15 minutes with my band saw, which doesnt cut straight, and then used my dremmel to cut the holes with notch at top. Not pretty but they are working great. I also took a coupling and cut 1/4" slabs of it off and glued them to the outsides an inch or so up the PVC tube and used that to hold the bag on by tie strapping above the piece. Also just through so duct tape over the top to keep rain, snow and falling items out of the tube/bag.

junior1
03-31-2011, 02:23 PM
Johnzprecision.we are using 2" pvc,the picture you see does have the strap through the bag.that was a trial the rest have the whole bag wrapped around the pvc then the strap around it.The downside to the strap through the bag was when you go to pour out the bag it comes out everywhere through the pvc and each side of the pvc from the wing of the bag.
Mathprofdk.There are others localy that i know have spun them on the table saw, just raise the blade a little over an 1/8 inch above the table and spin it.

supersapper
04-12-2011, 09:43 AM
i'm guessing that they are 2":confused:

junior1
04-13-2011, 06:34 AM
2" is correct we had some 1 1/2 last year but the 2 pours out much faster.

Grease05
04-13-2011, 11:50 AM
what kind of tap are you using for this, I did not understand the pic of the tap.

junior1
04-15-2011, 07:48 PM
If i remember correctly they are not an actual tap they are a 5/16 tap extension but the sguare end on them leep them in the groove of the pvc pretty good.

metalhead62
04-16-2011, 12:19 AM
grease. i used a 5/16 tree saver with a 1 1/4inch hole drilled into a 2 inch pvc pipe cut 4-5 inches long. then i put a 2-3 inch piece of 5/16 tubing on the spile to help keep it from blowing off ,i scored the pvc and used tie wire(thin gauge soft ) doubled in the grove to tie the bag on tightened by twisting with pliers you will snap the wire a few times till u get the feel 4 it

maplesyrupstove
04-16-2011, 01:05 PM
I made the bag holder to try and the ice cream pails work great.My sap pails were dry up the last week of the season and my ice cream buckets were still running good.The pipe line taps hold sap and don't dry up as quick . Ice cream pail cost 50 cents, tap cost 34 cents ,total 84 cents. Used sap pail $3.95 ,cover $1.99 and spout $1.55 total $7.49 plus TAX. When it rains I tip the ice cream bucket backwards and the water runs off the cover, then I empty the bucket in my gathering pail.Small hole for tap in ice cream bucket and 1 3/4 inch hole in the side to empty sap pail.