PDA

View Full Version : Thinning Tomorrow

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:14 PM
All maples are flagged. Tomorrow and Sunday I start dropping trees that are adjacent to the maples and touching or are within reach of my crop trees. Needless to say, there will be alot of trees laying on the ground tomorrow.

Typical8
03-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Have fun! But be carefull out there. I'm talking hardhat face schield, cutting chaps. I don't want anything to happen to you cause I can hardly wait to hear from you next year.

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:30 PM
thanks Typical8. Yeah, I have all the necessary equipment. I burn wood in the house and spend alot of time on my 50 acres cutting firewood. Knock on wood I havent had any bad experiences yet, unless you consider getting stung by a dozen ground bees hazardous to my health! thats is a story in and of itself!

Typical8
03-25-2011, 06:35 PM
Yeah. This is a good time to do it. Won't be long and the Bees, bugs and ticks will be out. Trees aren't leaved out yet so falling trees is much easier. You are doing everything right. So Far. :lol:

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:36 PM
yeah, we arent anywhere near having trees bud out yet. We typically dont get there until mid/late May around here

Kev
03-25-2011, 06:39 PM
happy cutting!
plan in action....gotta like it:D

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:41 PM
thanks for all the support guys! I love being in the woods more than anything so this is just another excuse to get there!:D

allgreenmaple
03-25-2011, 06:53 PM
thanks Typical8. Yeah, I have all the necessary equipment. I burn wood in the house and spend alot of time on my 50 acres cutting firewood. Knock on wood I havent had any bad experiences yet, unless you consider getting stung by a dozen ground bees hazardous to my health! thats is a story in and of itself! 50 acres is a nice size piece of land. Is there a substantial amount of maple on it? I would think, with a 50 acre wooded lot, one could certainly utilize it well enough to generate some decent income. I'm always dreaming up additional ways to make $$$. :lol::lol::lol:

adk1
03-25-2011, 06:57 PM
Well, 20 of the 30 acres is on a pretty good slope. The other 30 acres I logged off of pine/hemlock the past two years, which was the predominate tree. I ahve alot of mixed hardwood, havent really paid attention to he maple up there yet, as it would be a long ways to run tubing to from where my sugarhouse is located, and I cant get to the top 30 acres due to the hill in the winter/spring

CBOYER
03-25-2011, 09:44 PM
i'd like to do thinning like you right now, but if i do i will have three feet high stump to remove later:lol:
i have so much snow in sugarbush this year, and melting is very slow whit night temps of-15C.

S Culver
03-26-2011, 04:04 AM
A little safety FYI. I used to be a professional tree climber and have cut about 20 cords a year for the last 30 yrs without any serious mishaps but I received a reality check a few weeks ago. That little aluminum chain catcher that sits under the chain had come off and I did not notice. As I was on the ground limbing a log the chain came off and slapped up under the saw hitting my chaps and making it around them to the inside of my thigh. Fortunatly it barely broke the skin but the bruse lasted quite a while. Of course my kids were wondering why my pants were down around my ankles.

JUST be safe.

driske
03-26-2011, 04:25 AM
thanks for that tip from the hills of the Virginia's.
i think of my self as a fairly safety conscious person. Yet I've paid visits to the ER 3 times over the last 35 years for wood cutting related accidents.
Building a better bush comes with myriad freakish dangers.
Since I'm nearing 60 YO , I've probably slowed down enough to find time to attend a forestry safety presentation. Something I should have considered 4 decades back.

onthehill
03-26-2011, 05:10 AM
Around these parts in PA the gas companies are running gas pipeline. They are going through a forested property adjacent to one or our sugarbushes. The guys working said they have to be done cutting by April 1 so as not to disturb some endangered bat. Really, no kidding!

maple flats
03-26-2011, 06:11 AM
thanks for that tip from the hills of the Virginia's.
i think of my self as a fairly safety conscious person. Yet I've paid visits to the ER 3 times over the last 35 years for wood cutting related accidents.
Building a better bush comes with myriad freakish dangers.
Since I'm nearing 60 YO , I've probably slowed down enough to find time to attend a forestry safety presentation. Something I should have considered 4 decades back.

I was about 58 when I took Game of Logging (GOL) safety classes. You would be wise to do the same. Sessions 1 and 2 especially. I had been cutting for over 35 years without incident and I cut upwards to 40 full cord a year BUT the classses still taught me plenty. Very well worth it, each session (1 and 2) is 1 day and they can be taken one day after the other. The 3 and 4 sessions require a wait before taking if you want to go that far.