PDA

View Full Version : pulling taps?

Brian Ledoux
03-25-2011, 09:45 AM
Hello,
Anyone in or around NH pulling taps yet? Would love to know when folks in NH/Mass start doing that this year...

I have several silver maples that have really big buds right now. I am worried about adding the sap from those trees to my good sap. DO NOT want any off flavor syrup again this year. Such a waste of time and energy. Any thoughts? Is it too early to be worrying about that yet? Thanks. -brian

Dill
03-25-2011, 10:03 AM
I know I've had a hard freeze every night for the last week and it froze last night, and it looks like it will continue doing it for the next 10 days of forecast.

PerryW
03-25-2011, 10:18 AM
i would pull the silver maple taps but definitely keep the other taps in. There is a silver maple in Franconia that has usually has flowers on it and I'm still boiling up a storm.
Hello,
Anyone in or around NH pulling taps yet? Would love to know when folks in NH/Mass start doing that this year...

I have several silver maples that have really big buds right now. I am worried about adding the sap from those trees to my good sap. DO NOT want any off flavor syrup again this year. Such a waste of time and energy. Any thoughts? Is it too early to be worrying about that yet? Thanks. -brian

Dill, somebody must be getting mega-sap runs south of me (or lower than 1000'). My taps really WANT to run but it hasn't been getting quite warm enough. A few of the warmer trees have gushed sap. At least maybe the people who had a lousy year (southern/central NH, etc) can make up for it this year.

Dill
03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
I'm getting mega sap runs here. Yesterday the vac bush thawed out at 11:30 and I got 200 gallons by 5. The gravity taps are running good as well. Bucket trees are half to 3/4 a bucket a day. I've been swamped. Central NH is the place for sap right now. Even Lee which usually stops in 2 weeks is still running with no buds.
Right now its a 3 way attrition fest, what's going to give out first. Wood, willpower or weather. And I can tell you its not the weather.

mlaird
03-25-2011, 03:04 PM
Hello,

Check out my thread here: http://mapletrader.com/community/showthread.php?t=12334

I'm wondering the same thing as you. Check out my latest post to that thread with the photo of huge buds that are starting to open!

I decided to separate my silver maple sap from the reds, and while its flavor is a bit funny, it's not unpleasant, so I'll keep boiling it for now.

TapME
03-26-2011, 06:01 AM
Right now its a 3 way attrition fest, what's going to give out first. Wood, willpower or weather. And I can tell you its not the weather.

after last year nothing is going to stop me. I love a nice fire and watching finished product come out. 2 cords left and one to be split(was for this coming year). I am getting my second wind about now.

morningstarfarm
03-26-2011, 07:56 AM
pulled most of mine last week...but it was not because of poor sap run...NHpete is still collecting from about 20-25 taps here if front of the house..by all acounts its still running well..he told me last night he had around 60 gals this week to boil today...

The Butcher
03-26-2011, 07:14 PM
Hey Brian,
How many did you end up pulling?

I thought I was done but this last cold spell has the buckets overflowing again.
I think I am boiling last time on Tuesday then pulling them!!

Best year so far for me.

backyard sugaring
04-03-2011, 08:52 PM
Pulled my taps today, sap is still flowing but, I am tired and out of bottles. Made close to 6 gallons. Thank you Mapletrader for all your good advice. I now can consider myself a Sugarmaker.

Brian Ledoux
04-04-2011, 02:56 PM
Dumped the sap in my silver maple taps on 3/25. Did not use any sap from these trees after 3/23 or so. Some of the silvers were clearly budding and the sap even had a different odor. No need to chance it.

Stopped collecting completely on thursday of last week. Boiled all I had thursday night and ended season with about 21 gallons. Was a good year for me. Sap is still running but am too tired to keep going! My full time job, lack of helpers, and the 5 hour collection route became too much to keep going! Was good while it lasted. Now I will try and sell some of my finished product, which teastes amazing. I think my grandfather's norway maples add a really nice flavor to my syrup!

Mac_Muz
04-04-2011, 06:03 PM
Tamworth is slowing I guess. I pulled one tap last week, and dumped the reddish stuff in 2 buckets. A double tree seems to have quit running, but the other half is running good still.

I am hoping for one more good run for B, and have better than half a barrel of sap for it now.

37 taps, down to 36.

Since i do batches I'm in it till the end.

Last year for kicks i let the trees bud out, the sap turned yellow and I boiled some black stuff of it. My wife loves that black syrup too. Is that Grade C?

red maples
04-05-2011, 08:43 AM
I am starting to pull taps today. If the rain holds out!!! alot of the red buds are really getting big. some getting ready to pop I am sure they will this week temps in the 50's here.

Gary in NH
04-05-2011, 05:11 PM
I pulled mine on Sunday (4-3). Some of the bigger trees hadn't done anything for over a week and a half. Late starters were making up for the difference. Only three taps out of 46 were getting cloudy. No nights in the forecast for temps much below freezing so I decided call it a season.

Mac_Muz
04-05-2011, 06:29 PM
It's runnin in the rain today in Tamworth. For a few days it looks bad, but who knows.. then another brief 3 days cold snap. Com'on Sap!

I got better than 40 gallons to boil in a barrel, and would like to make at least 1 more gallon.