PDA

View Full Version : Full moon tapping

argohauler
03-25-2011, 07:56 AM
I was talking to a neighbour the other day and he has a son that lives in St. George, ON. He was telling me that there is an old timer up there that taps on the full moon, so that would have been the 19th of March. He has 7000 taps.

I've never heard of it before. Has anybody else?

maple maniac65
03-25-2011, 05:43 PM
Look at where Easter is this year and last year and when the full moon came before Easter 2010. Then get out the Bible and find someone who understands Astrology and maybe a weatherman and have a good debate on when Spring actually comes. I think the old man knows something that most of us have forgotten about.

PATheron
03-25-2011, 08:58 PM
Maybe hes part warewolf? Theron

802maple
03-25-2011, 09:34 PM
Actually there is alot to this as I too, with my own trees tap or atleast not expect any sap until after the full moon of march in this area. If you look at the thread that I started about whether it is worth it to use vacuum or not I mentioned that I always tap after a certain thing that would happen on the 19th of March this year. Alot of the Oldtimers (I guess that puts me in that category) do this.

TF Maple
03-25-2011, 10:49 PM
I would have missed a bunch of sap had I waited until the 19th to tap.

802maple
03-25-2011, 10:52 PM
I'm sure you would have, I am talking about here in my area

driske
03-26-2011, 01:26 AM
Several respected, long time sugar makers in central WI never tap before the 20th of March. One currently projects we will be boiling into the 18th of April.
Looking out on the local landscape with our fresh new blanket of snow, makes me think he's right.
The older I get, the earlier we need to start tapping. If I found a way to get our 11,000 taps in and vacuum tight in less time, I would hold off as well. I figure if I'm ready to make syrup by St. Patrick's Day in these parts we're OK.

maple flats
03-26-2011, 06:18 AM
I tapped late Feb and into march, no sign of drying up (with CV's) and I expect to be boiling well into mid march this year too, based on the forcast. The combo vac and CV's looks great. On my gravity taps it might stop earlier but they were tapped starting just about the march full moon, by chance not plan.

brookledge
03-26-2011, 08:55 PM
Maple flats,
I think you ment to say you will be boiling well into April.
I hope to get a week or two into April myself. If that is the case I will be well over a half gallon of syrup per tap
Keith