PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Evaporator

Maple Hunter
03-24-2011, 10:16 PM
Here's a pic of my homemade evaporator. Haven't got a real feel for how well it does yet, but I'd guess somewhere around 7gal/ hr or so. I'll probably build a better setup for next season, but for now it sure beats the 30gal pot I used last year.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49230613@N02/5557161139/in/photostream/

70 Buick
03-24-2011, 10:23 PM
I don't see any picture

sniperdodo
03-25-2011, 05:56 AM
Looks pretty good Maple Hunter, should get the job done just fine

elm creek guy
03-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Had one just like that a few yrs ago woorked good don't know what you have for a vent under the door I had to cut one in the vent that came with the door wasn't big enough. Good lookin pan! Good job and good luck!

Maple Hunter
03-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Yeah the vent isn't quite enough and lately I've been keeping the door part way open. It burns great for a wood stove when shut, but to get the sap really boiling like crazy it needs more air. The bottom is lined with sand, then a metal plate, followed by fire brick. I also recently added some copper tubing coiled around the stove pipe to preheat incoming sap, which does the trick. It seems like I get lower grade syrup when using the continual flow method, rather than just filling the pan and boiling that same batch straight down. Is that possible?

eustis22
03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
...did you make the pan itself?

sugarin' in the hood
03-29-2011, 08:15 PM
Maple Hunter,
While I am no expert my understanding is that when continually adding sap that the concentrate is boiled longer which will make it darker. We went from the continually add "hole in a coffee can sap injector" to batching this year and it feels like the batching may be more productive.

sugarin' in the hood
03-29-2011, 08:17 PM
By the way, great job on the evaporator!

Ryan August
03-30-2011, 11:54 AM
Hey maple hunter, can you post some more detailed pics, I have been thinking about riging a similar product. You get any idea on the gal/hour rate yet? I have a make shift barrel stove this year. I had taken and made cuts about every 2-3 inches in the bottom and poked every other fin up and every other down, makes like a grate and allows airflow. Seems to work. Hope you can get some more detail up. Thanks