PDA

View Full Version : Crazy season Isn't it?

batsofbedlam
03-24-2011, 08:57 PM
The weather seems perfect the last few days, but the trees are holding back. I want 2 more weeks of maple weather, with decent sap flows.

foursapssyrup
03-24-2011, 09:03 PM
i'm not in CT, (about the same weather tho). our trees have been doing the same thing. i keep saying, "maybe tomorrow".

it has to flow at some point with this weather, hopefully it's a good one.

Ausable
03-25-2011, 08:30 AM
--Same here -- So far -- One soso day -- 25 gallons -- Then the next day a Blizzard with 12+ inches of snow.... Have a Son 80 miles South of me - Swimming in Sap -- Brought me up 250 gallons to boil and another 100+ gallons this coming Saturday -- Had it not been for him -- I'd still be waiting to do my first Boil.... Hope it breaks loose for those of us who have been having a dry spell == Best of Luck ---- Mike

ebourassa
03-25-2011, 08:50 AM
they were running here when it was 70f and now we got perfect sap weather with nothing coming out of them, goes to show that they will run when they want too.

3rdgen.maple
03-25-2011, 12:44 PM
Been a pretty good season for me so far. Sarted out slow but turned into a good year and by the way the weather is looking I will be making syrup well into april. Only complaint is the low sugar content but I guess we cant have it all. It was an extremely wet summer and fall and little sun so I was figuring before the first tap went in it was going to be on the low side with lots of sap.

batsofbedlam
03-25-2011, 01:52 PM
Great sap run today. Collected 800 gallons from 900 taps so far today and it's only 2 in the afternoon.

Ausable
03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Great sap run today. Collected 800 gallons from 900 taps so far today and it's only 2 in the afternoon.

Hmmmmmm! -- Good --- Sunny and 26F here -- What the heck - I'm gonna check some trees too -- never know -- Mike

adk1
03-25-2011, 02:50 PM
Hmmmmmm! -- Good --- Sunny and 26F here -- What the heck - I'm gonna check some trees too -- never know -- Mike

was just informed that the sap is flowing pretty good here.

Ausable
03-25-2011, 02:52 PM
was just informed that the sap is flowing pretty good here.

More good News - now I'm really gonna check my trees -- see ya later -- Mike

batsofbedlam
03-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Just to show how crazy the season is, we are having the best sap runs yet. We have been averaging 100 gallons per hour from a 900+ sugarbush for the last 3 days. The sugar content is 1.7 - 1.8, but makes good syrup.

ctjim
03-29-2011, 03:20 PM
bats i can't believe your still at it. i pulled my taps about 1 week ago, the trees started to swell the buds and i heard peepers. besides all my sap was very cloudy. is you bush out of direct sunlight? sounds like you're having a banner yr.

batsofbedlam
03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
My south facing slope dried up, but my biggest bush which is facing East is running gangbusters. 1500 gallons today in a 24 hour period. Very slight cloudiness, but nice syrup.

hodorskib
03-29-2011, 06:11 PM
Same in Oakville south facing taps are dried up but others are running hard and crystal clear. Finishing off a small batch tonight 2-2 1/2 gallons. Taste seems a little off though not sure if it will be top grade after filtering. Hope I didn't push it and waste my time? Time will tell.

markct
03-29-2011, 07:33 PM
yea sap is still running like crazy here, got 650 gallons off my 400 taps on vac last 2 days, buddy but clear, commercial still has value tho!

hodorskib
03-29-2011, 08:58 PM
Ok just finished bottling up a little over 2 gallons of light-medium syrup. It came out crystal clear and very good flavor. When I went to wash out the filters I noticed how heavy they were and thought I hadn't let it all drip through, but it was packed with sugar sand! Having nothing better to do with it I pulled the first paper filter out that had trapped nearly all of it and put it on the kitchen scale. It weighed 2.2 pounds. I also gave it a little taste and that was the bitterness that I had smelled/tasted earlier. I have been making syrup for 10 years now and I have never seen that much sugar sand in batches twice that size. I also have never made such light syrup this late in the year nor have I ever been boiling into April. A lot of first this year I guess. Hoping for 1 or 2 more runs and then pulling out this weekend. Good luck to everyone still going at it.