PDA

View Full Version : Tapping Will Kill My Trees

jmp
03-24-2011, 04:49 PM
I am looking to expand my taps for next season and have already visited several properties with decent sugarbush to chat with the owners. So far I have heard "tapping will kill my trees", "no", "no", and "no". Everyone has been jovial about it. I thought most folks would be thrilled to have some passive income (buck or so a tap) but so far I am striking out. Any suggestions from those of you that rent sugarbush from others? Thanks guys. -John

Ausable
03-24-2011, 05:22 PM
Not sure what to say --- Most folks seem happy to let Backyarders tap some of their trees - if You give them some Maple Syrup. I'm not talking gallons - but - pints and quarts. If you make good maple syrup -- the word soon gets around and they will be asking you to tap their trees for a little syrup. Now - Someone doing it on a Commercial Scale - it is a whole different Ball Game - You get into the price per tap thing etc. --- Killing their trees - dang - where did they get their education to believe such nonsense -- Good Luck and don't give up -- most folks are ok if approached the right way. - Mike

Dennis H.
03-24-2011, 05:38 PM
Explain to them that there are trees out there that have been tapped for a very long time and are still doing fine.

Maybe even take along a tap and bucket to show how small a hole you will be making.
If they say no ask them where they heard that from, Maybe it was something they heard from a neighbor or friend that had a really bad experenence with.

Not sure if they ever had maple syrup before you might want to take along a very small bottle of syrup to let them "try" it and think about it.

I myself was very surprised with how nice and willing people are with letting me tap the maples on thier property. I have had only 1 person who basically said no when they never returned a call after I talked them. They sounded ok about it but never heard back.

Keep trying you will find trees.

C.Wilcox
03-24-2011, 05:50 PM
I carry a 5/16 spile in my pocket when I knock on doors so I can show them what kind of a hole we're talking about. Sometimes it helps, sometimes not. Even if they say no I always say thanks, ask them to let me know if they change their mind, and make a point of inviting them over to see the trees in my yard that I've tapped and watch the syrup making process.

wcproctor
03-24-2011, 06:56 PM
Funny I had a guy last year let me tap 1 tree in his woods, at the end of the season I gave him some syrup thank him and went on my way. This year he was asking all the other neighbours when I will be coming around to tab. So I stopped by and he told me to tap all his tree this year. He has about 12-20 trees and most of them I can put 2 taps in. So what I would do is give some of them a 1/2 pint to let them see what you are getting locally and it may change there mind. Good luck

adk1
03-24-2011, 07:31 PM
An older guy down the road heard that I will be starting to make syrup next year. He actually approached me to see if I was interested in tapping some of his maples. He has a few really nice front yard maples and a small hill behind his house that I can tap as well. I bet there are another 40 taps there for me and I can get to it on my atv.

I will hang traditional buckets in his front yard and tubing behind. I think he just likes to see buckets hanging or something. I also think that it will give him something to do as he will check the buckets for me and give me a call when they need to be collected. I also expect that he will be a regular in the sugarhouse when I am boiling. Nice old guy

Maplesedge
03-24-2011, 10:09 PM
Had to find new trees this year because Grandma sold her house snd we don't have any.

First few people we asked said no, for similar reasons. Some people are just fearful and no explanation would overcome that.

But had to keep trying and eventually lucked out. Folk's who's trees I'm tapping love warm, just bottled, syrup. I give them a couple bottles fromeach batch and they think I'm wicked generous. But Without a donor I've got no sap at all. My oak trees aren't much use.

All you can do is wait to meet the right person. You have all year to find them.

Also, friend of mine pays a dollar a tap in Rutland State Park.

Maybe in the Quabbin?

3fires
03-24-2011, 10:35 PM
I go right into the details and inform them of how little sap is removed from the tree, explain tapping guidelines based on size of tree, explain that i'm using tree saver spiles, explain how the tree heals, give them links to good sites like this, etc. etc. Once they are informed they seem more than happy and assured. Plus, if you explain these things they get the idea that you know what you are doing and aren't just some yahoo going around mindlessly drilling holes into trees.

Let them know that people out there do this for a living and they aren't going to risk bringing disease to wipe out their source of income, maple trees.

40to1
03-25-2011, 12:21 AM
I've had very good success tapping trees throughout the neighborhood.
I started by getting commitments from two friends. That was easy.

After that it got easier.
I did not ask to tap people's trees outright, I simply explained that I was tapping the other neighbors' trees - and would they like to be included?

It's a subtle difference, but it's important. People like to be included, and no one wants to be first.

The fact that people are being jovial about it also means the door is still open - just a crack. You're having a conversation with them.... Give it a few months and the next time you see them, mention the other trees you're tapping and if they'd like to be included.

icezman
04-10-2011, 12:41 PM
Wait till everybody starts expecting you to give them syrup. I've been told that tapping make s the heart of the tree bigger making them less valuable for lumber. I could always use a few more trees but sometimes it gets more complicated then I like dealing with. Probably just my luck !

Timber Juice
04-10-2011, 01:44 PM
...I've been told that tapping make s the heart of the tree bigger making them less valuable for lumber...!

Unbelievable!

It is the heartwood that is good for lumber.

The white sapwood of a walnut doesn't look good in furniture, and is softer, less durable.

The white sapwood of aromatic red cedar, is not rot resistant and has little aroma.

Most uses of hardwood lumber consider the sapwood waste.

'
Goodluck

Flat Lander Sugaring
04-10-2011, 08:24 PM
Unbelievable!

It is the heartwood that is good for lumber.

The white sapwood of a walnut doesn't look good in furniture, and is softer, less durable.

The white sapwood of aromatic red cedar, is not rot resistant and has little aroma.

Most uses of hardwood lumber consider the sapwood waste.

'
Goodluck

to the surprise of every one, there is a pretty big market for tapped maple boards. I hear it is as big or bigger than a clean board so don't let any one tell you different. A lawyer told my bro-in law about it.

maple flats
04-10-2011, 08:37 PM
I have had good luck renting trees. I pay well, in syrup and the bal in cash. My rate now is $.75/tap up from $.50 just last year. My decision. After other neighbors talk to the land owner I rent from they are often interested In fact I had a land owner stop while I was pumping sap and talk. Before leaving he asked if I would look at his 75 acres and see if I was interested in tapping. I have an appoitment to walk his woods this Tuesday. I'm not sure about other states but tapping saves a landowner in NY a considerable amount in land taxes. You need a written lease for at least 5 years and YOU need to do at least $10,000 average in sales over a 2 year period. If you are very big that is little problem. At $50/gal it takes just 200 gal. On the other hand I also have 4.5 acres of u-pick blueberries that also count towards an off year in maple to keep the $10,000 average. Unfortunately, if you are just too small the tax benefit is not possible.

Kev
04-10-2011, 09:07 PM
I've had very good success tapping trees throughout the neighborhood.
I started by getting commitments from two friends. That was easy.

After that it got easier.
I did not ask to tap people's trees outright, I simply explained that I was tapping the other neighbors' trees - and would they like to be included?

It's a subtle difference, but it's important. People like to be included, and no one wants to be first.

The fact that people are being jovial about it also means the door is still open - just a crack. You're having a conversation with them.... Give it a few months and the next time you see them, mention the other trees you're tapping and if they'd like to be included.

I like it when they come to me and tell me their neighbor let them have a taste of the syrup I gave them in exchange for tapping. then they ask if I want to tap their trees too :)

BobU
04-11-2011, 08:23 AM
Sometimes that "give away" syrup, pays back much better than the syrup that is sold. :)