PDA

View Full Version : boxy gold

supersapper
03-23-2011, 11:00 PM
does anyone besides me use boxelder for syruping? been using it for two years and it tastes delicious!!!!!

Ausable
03-24-2011, 06:33 AM
I never have myself - But have read several other posts on this site from people that do ---- So You are not alone. Box Elder is in the maple family and the sap has sugar content -- and I understand taste quite good -- so why not. Best of Luck ---- Mike

C.Wilcox
03-24-2011, 07:38 AM
I tap box elder almost exclusively and have for years. I agree, makes great tasting syrup.

supersapper
03-24-2011, 09:37 AM
i also have access to several sugar maples. can you blend the two or is it better to keep them separate?

happy thoughts
03-24-2011, 10:40 AM
i also have access to several sugar maples. can you blend the two or is it better to keep them separate?

I'm no expert and wouldn't even know a box elder if I fell over one. I've probably never tasted syrup made from it. That said, legally there should be no reason to keep them separate if you're selling maple syrup. Even your state (MN) recognizes box elder as an important source of maple syrup. See the link below

http://www.dnr.state.mn.us/young_naturalists/syrup/index.html

As a member of the maple tree genus (acer) it would be recognized as legal to label as maple syrup even in very large production areas like Canada and VT.

The sugar content of your box elders is likely much lower than your sugar maples. Blending the two seems like a good idea to me and might get you some syrup a lot quicker.

C.Wilcox
03-24-2011, 05:54 PM

Blend away. I have 3 silver maples that I collect sap from and it all gets mixed with the box elder sap. It makes for great tasting syrup.