PDA

View Full Version : bigger evap. or ro

maplefarmer
03-23-2011, 06:11 PM
last year i had 180 taps with a 2x6 leader, worked out well. this year i found alot more trees [425] taps, when the sap really ran i could not keep up with boiling it off. question is am i better off to get a bigger evap, or look into a small ro and even with an ro is it possible to keep up with 425 or poss. even more on my 2x6?

bobbyjake
03-23-2011, 06:26 PM
It is completely possible, and relatively easy to keep up with 400 taps with a 2x6 and an RO. 1000 is doable even but that does require some organization and rethinking on your part relative to when you RO and when you boil.

That said, for your situation, bigger evap or RO is a personal choice. Bigger evap will allow you to operate pretty much the same as you do now. No new challenges, no new fancy gadgets - more fuel though. An RO will let you keep your existing equipment for many years and more expansion potential, but will also require a heated room, bigger electrical service to the heated room possibly and a larger electric bill.. Dollar for Dollar, you will make syrup less expensively with an RO than with a new evap. And if you use the time you would have spent in the sugarhouse and invest that time in the woods, you will make more syrup.

metalhead62
03-23-2011, 08:45 PM
ro's go with any size evaporator

wiam
03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
I am running about 900 taps an a 2x6 and concentrating to about 10%. Most days have been under 4 hr boiling.

William

Bucket Head
03-23-2011, 09:58 PM
An RO would be the wiser choice. I purchased a used one before the season started. I debated for years on having one. I'll be honest here and tell you I was foolish for putting it off. I now have much shorter boil sessions, make lighter syrup and have not used much wood. The time and fuel savings are incredible- just incredible compared to boiling straight sap. An RO will allow for many more taps on your current rig, and you'll still have a shorter boil session than you do now.

Steve

markcasper
03-24-2011, 12:16 AM
5 years ago I told everyone I'd never own a pecking ro. Boy was I wrong and it has turned out to be the best investment next to a tubing tool and going on vacuum!

Dennis H.
03-24-2011, 12:39 AM
If I was in the situation that you are I would lean toward an RO. Depending on how nuch sap you get you can adjust how much to concentrate the sap.

The other thing is that once you add more trees down the road again and you will once you see that the RO gives you more wiggle room in boiling time then you can upgrade the evap.

I have thought about this myself many times, if I ever found a nice stand of maples that would max my evap that I currently have.
Another thing to think about is that you may find grants and stuff out there for energy savings in a business that you can use to purchase or offset your costs for the RO.

maple flats
03-24-2011, 04:51 AM
I'm looking at the same choice. Rather I have made mine (in my mind). I will have an RO before next year. I have had days of 19 hr boiling this year and I still do not have the number of taps I want. I'm at about 1/2 of my goal. Right now I do not want a bigger evaporator, but with an RO I could triple my taps and handle it nicely. I am adding an addition to the sugarhouse, kitchen, RO room, and bathroom (composting toilet). My water will be from the permiate tank. Super insulate the RO room and heat should be manageable. I will like the lighter syrup too. Even though I make very good dark and enjoy it more personally, I could change some B and good flavored C into A with a good supply of light. Addition comes first.