PDA

View Full Version : Foaming

HHM-07
03-23-2011, 06:02 PM
HI Folks, I have a nrw set of wse pans for my 2x4 wood fired rig , they boil great however whe i get at about 6 on the thermometer it will start to foam overthen the defoamer kills it so it is up and down, ineed advice from anyone. i am running about 1.5 inches

Thanks Dick

PerryW
03-23-2011, 06:18 PM
Sounds normal to me. I often have to add defoamer to keep the front pan from boiling over when it gets close to syrup. I add it a drop or two at a time to reduce the serious up and down fluctuations.

Also, foaming up in the front pan is a sign that the evaporator needs more wood. The act of opening the door and putting new wood on will reduce the foaming somewhat (and keep the overall evaporation rate of the evaporator up there).

brookledge
03-23-2011, 07:33 PM
If you get in the habit of a regular dose of defoamer it will help keep the foam at a constant level. Sort of like preventative maintainence. Instead of waiting for the foam to get so high you have to do it
Keith

adk1
03-23-2011, 08:09 PM
I have seen sugarmakers add one or two drops to the flue pan after loading every time. so that is like every 7 minutes or so

WESTVIRGINIAMAPLER
03-27-2011, 05:52 AM
I put about 5 drops in the in the float box where the incoming sap is coming in every 15 minutes and this takes care of most of the foam problems. If you do need to add any to your syrup pan, put one drop at the drawoff location and this takes care of the syrup pan and makes the syrup run towards the drop of defoamer.

Russell Lampron
03-27-2011, 06:36 AM
I am one of those guys that adds a couple of drops of defoamer to the flue pan every time that I fire. The defoamer from the flue pan works it's way into the front pan and keeps the foam under control without having to add any to the front pan. I use the Atmos 300 defoamer that Leader sells.

3rdgen.maple
03-27-2011, 12:22 PM
Same deal here a couple drops every other firing for me and it takes care of the foam throughout the evaporator. Whenever my dad boils for me a bit I end up with the same problem with foam till i can get it under control. Seems he likes to nap between firing instead of adding a little defoamer lol.

SUGARBROOKMAPLE
03-27-2011, 08:13 PM
I add powdered defoamer to to sap inlet every time after firing also if you need to add to the front a pinch or drop near the draw off point is the only place defoamer should be added as the other guys stated your pans may be sugaring up on the bottom causing that you may need to clean them with pan cleaner after so many gallons of sryup I switch my pans after every 60 gals or so depending on the year

TapME
03-28-2011, 06:54 AM
I am with the rest of you, adding 3 drops of vegei oil to the flue pan every firing. keeps things managable.