PDA

View Full Version : Dirty sock tasting syrup arrghhh...

smokeyamber
03-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Ok, so I drew off almost 2 gallons for finishing and pulled out the wool filter. When the syrup came out the filter it tasted like old socks !!! :(

Thankfully I just finished half the batch at a time, so the rest did not get the filter and will just settle.:)

Helpful hint I guess is to test the filter first ... maybe with hot water ? :confused:

Kev
03-23-2011, 03:01 PM
Ok, so I drew off almost 2 gallons for finishing and pulled out the wool filter. When the syrup came out the filter it tasted like old socks !!! :(

Thankfully I just finished half the batch at a time, so the rest did not get the filter and will just settle.:)

Helpful hint I guess is to test the filter first ... maybe with hot water ? :confused:

and make sure its completely clean and DRY before putting it in storage.
true with all your filters, not just wool

mike z
03-23-2011, 04:01 PM
Yep, it's always better to clean the filters with water then syrup.
Don't ask me to explain the story but one of the old man's t-shirts found its way into the sap holding tank 8-O. He said it was just washed though.

heus
03-23-2011, 04:44 PM
Ive heard you can leave them wet if you put them in a freezer bag and place in freezer.

collinsmapleman2012
03-23-2011, 05:56 PM

im just wondering why he knows what dirty socks taste like....:rolleyes:
just joking lol