PDA

View Full Version : Changing Grades

SeanD
03-23-2011, 10:41 AM
Last week with the warm temps. I put cloudy sap into the evap. and my front pan is pretty dark. I haven't tested it, but I'm guessing it's a B grade sitting in there with more on the way in the back pan.

This week the cold temps are giving me much clearer sap and it's keeping very well in the barrels.

Should I leave what's there and add the new sap drawing off the dark as it moves along and hopefully getting a little lighter or should I pull the old stuff off and re-sweeten with new stuff.

Sean

Jim Brown
03-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Push it through with the new sap the grade will lighten if the sap is right

Our two cents
Jim

maple flats
03-23-2011, 07:39 PM
I don't have much luch pushing dark with light. I prefer finishing off and re-sweeten. It does get lighter but I don't think it does as well as running new.

lew
03-23-2011, 07:50 PM
Pushing dark with light will work, BUT, it will take a lot of light to push out the dark. You can take 1 gallon of Grade B and mix with 4 gallons of light and still come up with B.
Food for thought.

CBOYER
03-23-2011, 08:08 PM
If you read french, Centre Acer in their web site have a study (29 pages) for mixing colors. some charts could be helpfull, or maybe an US study similar is avalaible for you?