PDA

View Full Version : Spout

70 Buick
03-22-2011, 06:28 PM
I was looking to make a pre heater drip
I have seen pots with a fawcet or a spout on the front
I went to the big box stores around here & can't find the stuff to make one
any suggestions,?, I was thinking a nut on each side of the pot, or do they have to be soldered on?

Kev
03-22-2011, 07:40 PM
there are bulkhead fittings in both brass and abs.
they are made for both flat surfaces and for the curved sides vessels of various diameters.
http://www.automationstore.com/HeleoCart/ProductPage/AS207ACBH(1385).aspx?gclid=COLTqbe546cCFcW8KgodShQ A-w
I would shop around more, thats just the first company that came up googleing bulkhead fittings

70 Buick
03-22-2011, 08:57 PM
Funny I typed in Bulkhead fittings into Montrealplus.ca a local search engine
all it gives me is lingeree stores
how do I explain that to the wife !! LOL

Kev
03-22-2011, 09:43 PM
Funny I typed in Bulkhead fittings into Montrealplus.ca a local search engine
all it gives me is lingeree store
how do I explain that to the wife !! LOL

ROFL your on your own there!
but you could hammer out a flat area in your pot and use a machine nipple and nuts or solder a fitting on.

Merklin Maples
03-23-2011, 06:25 AM
There is a site that has bulkhead fittings. They are called Weld-Be-Gone Bulhead fittings for brew pots. Try using that in your search engine.

jmp
03-23-2011, 07:54 AM
Daniel, I checked out the site you suggested and it looks like that item is discontinued. Too bad since I would have bought one! - John

70 Buick
03-23-2011, 07:14 PM
well this is the final solution for me
doesn't leak at all so I am happy

http://shootthebull.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=212&t=1

adk1
03-23-2011, 08:13 PM
now that is pretty cool right there. nice job. Now I wish I had kept that old electric range we had..would have been ideal in the saphouse!

Kev
03-23-2011, 08:40 PM
well this is the final solution for me
doesn't leak at all so I am happy

http://shootthebull.freeforums.org/download/file.php?id=212&t=1

I have noticed several of the tank preheaters on here.
I have one question.
why are you draining sap out of the bottom? heat rises. the sap at the top of the pot will be much warmer than the bottom after running for a while or are you just running a few inches into the pot?

70 Buick
03-23-2011, 10:32 PM
I am just trying to avoid pouring cold sap in ,
I will have it drip slowly already warm sap, thus never losing my boil & staying around 1.5 inches deep, ( at least that is the plan) LOL

Last one I made had the spout at the top Kev, was a bitch though always having to keep it full LOL (just kidding )

smokeyamber
03-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Of course there is the cheap solution... old coffee can with a small pinhole in it at the bottom... setup on side of pan and just keep filling. I preheat the stuff going into it form another restaruant pan on side of the arch. Crude, but I don't loose the boil.

Next year the float and continuos feed will come, but for now I just need to boil cause the sap is piling up... :)