PDA

View Full Version : Hydrometer reading/ lesson

hounder
03-22-2011, 06:26 PM
We boiled our first batch of syrup on Sunday and tried to do it by temperature as I did not have a hydrometer. I finished it in the house. I put it all in jugs (about 7 gallons total) and yesterday brought a jug to someone who has been doing it for 50+ years. He tested it and said that I didn't boil it down enough and gave me a hydrometer. I went home and opened all my jugs and started again. Well now I think I overdid it. When it is boiling it goes 1/2 way between the two red lines. I believe if it is too thick it floats more and too thin it sinks. Can I add stuff that we are going to pull off tonight when we attempt to finish our second batch to thin it up or do I call my first batch a loss? Thanks in advance.

ackerman75
03-22-2011, 06:30 PM
Yes, you can add some to it to thin it down a bit then keep checking it till you get to the top red line when boiling.

hounder
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
Thanks, I didn't want to go from bad to worse. Each time will be a lesson I am sure!

Kev
03-22-2011, 06:33 PM
yes you can thin it. make sure though that you are testing what was done at the correct temp or compensating for the temp differance. there is a chart that comes with a new hydrometer. it also can be found online I have seen a link on here to it also. I do not remember which thread it was under though.
my new hydrometer has the hot test at 213 F the old one just said hot. I always thought that was for the temp of syrup draw :emb:

RileySugarbush
03-22-2011, 07:37 PM
Dont forget to filter again after bringing it up to a boil again to avoid niter

hounder
03-23-2011, 08:04 AM
what is niter? I have sugar crystalization on it. I scooped that off and then filtered it? Will it affect how long it will keep for?

michiganfarmer2
03-23-2011, 09:02 AM
what is niter? I have sugar crystallization on it. I scooped that off and then filtered it? Will it affect how long it will keep for?
Niter is minerals in the sap that condence out during finnishing and form a fine sand usually on the bottom of the pan. Sometimes you will find it settled out in syrup containers.

I had a few quarts of syrup in an ice cream bucket on the kitchen table that got some crystallization on top. I broke it up, checked the syrup wiht a hydrometer, found it to be way too thick, added a little water, and reheated it till the crystallization melted back into syrup.

Dont ever throw sugar away. Its too hard to get in the first place.

Well, I suppose if its contaminated with chemicals or something.

I dont think shelf life is affected by anythiing other than density, and proper cannig temperatures, but those two are both very important. I mean if the density is too thin, I hear that the syrup will ferment. I know from experience that if it is too thick it will create rock candy crystals in the jug.