PDA

View Full Version : Still struggling the first year but broke the 1 gallon mark

They Call Me Pete
03-22-2011, 12:32 PM
I do have more questions.
This batch I just made I boiled down to a nice amber color hit 216 and filtered.
1)Is this the way to do it ? Last time I continued to boil until it was pretty thick but I think I lost a lot of syrup.
2) Is fresh syrup more runny and thickens a bit as it cools. Yes I'm used to seeing the "name brand store bought" stuff ooze out.

RileySugarbush
03-22-2011, 12:43 PM
I do have more questions.
This batch I just made I boiled down to a nice amber color hit 216 and filtered.
1)Is this the way to do it ? Last time I continued to boil until it was pretty thick but I think I lost a lot of syrup.
2) Is fresh syrup more runny and thickens a bit as it cools. Yes I'm used to seeing the "name brand store bought" stuff ooze out.

1) It's best to use a hydrometer. It's more accurate then temperature, but with only a small amount it may not be worth it. 216°F is not likely syrup, much too thin. Another way to make sure you are close to syrup is to dip a spatula in the boiling syrup and watch it run off. If it keeps dripping the whole time, you are not done yet. If the last drips hang and sheet, called aproning, you are close.

2) Fresh hot syrup is pretty runny. At room temp it is still much more runny than "store bought" corn syrup based stuff.

TF Maple
03-22-2011, 12:53 PM
Congratulations on your first gallon. I'm sure you could use it as it is, but it should be cooked until 7 degrees above the boiling temp of water. So unless you are at an elevation where water boils at 209, you are a little shy of real syrup. But it probably tastes pretty good anyway.

They Call Me Pete
03-22-2011, 01:50 PM
For some stupid reason 216-217 is stuck in my head :mad: I was finishing off another batch so I put earlier one in and brought it all up to 219. So I'm guessing temp is more important than what it looks like ?

jmp
03-22-2011, 03:50 PM
Pete, I too am new to making maple syrup and have done the same thing as you: draw off too early. I would invest in a hygrometer (less than 20 bucks) as it goes a long way to insuring you are making syrup not "almost syrup". I may be corrected by others but 9 degrees above the boiling point of water (at your location, at that time) works better. We have done the seven degree thing and made "almost syrup". If I am wrong I apologize in advance. There are many others with much more experience than me. Congratulations and good luck! -John

Southtowns27
03-22-2011, 10:17 PM
The thermometer gets you in the ballpark, but a hydrometer will get you a homerun. I'm coming up on 100 gals of syrup produced this year and every drop of it has been tested with the hydro. It's very well worth the $15. The thermometer is a very good reference, but the boiling point of water changes daily, and sometimes even over the course of a boil. Just something to be aware of.