PDA

View Full Version : Maple syrup as a full time business, is it possible???

Starting Small
03-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I have a couple of quick questions as I am considering the remote possiblility of starting a sugaring business in the next 5-10 years.

1. Is it actually possible to support a family on maple syrup or would a second stream of income be needed.
2. What would the costs be to start, assuming a building is already in place. What type of an initial investment would be reasonable to grow from a hobby to a business and have it be self sustaining?
3. Were your goals when you first started to jump into a business or did it evolve into one?

I cannot seem to find any reputable information anywhere about starting it as a business, just as a hobby. I appreciate your time, again I am probably 5-10 years away since my wife is pregnant and my daughter is 1 1/2 years old, if this even happens at all! Thank you again for any advice you could provide me, take care,
-Dave

DaveB
03-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Hi Dave,

Just thought I'd chime in with one suggestion....I think it would be better to evolve into a business than jump in. Even growing into it you are going to learn something new every year.

I've been personally sugaring for 20 years now, but it goes way back in my family whocame to CT from Vermont. I always wanted to do it and just started slow. There's a lot to learn, just like any other agricultural job. I'd love to make a living off it and think I can get there and I'm hoping that it will coincide with an early retirement and be able to spend more time with my young kids. Nights and weekends just aren't enough!

Dave

p.s. You might want to post something in the Business side of things forum in case someone misses this post.

Starting Small
03-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Hi Dave, thanks for the advice, makes sense. I am new to this forum but I will definiteley post it in the business section also. Sounds like an early retirement would be perfect for you! Thanks again for your help, looks like many great people on this site willing to help each other, I am glad I found it!

ennismaple
03-22-2011, 12:58 PM
Anybody that I know who does maple as their sole source of income does far more than just make syrup. They have pancake houses, sell firewood, do bus tours, team building workshops, weddings, etc... Do your research and come up with a business plan before jumping in with both feet.

Good luck and have fun with it!

Starting Small
03-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Thank you EnnisMaple. I just checked out your website, wonderful! Very impressive, I love the newsletter. I agree with you that diversification is key in any business venture. The good news is that in my minds eye of 5-10 years I have enough time to think about other activities that would help supplement income. Thanks again!

newbee
03-22-2011, 10:52 PM
Hi Dave,

Just found your post. Have you ever gon to the Hebron Maple Feast? There are some great sources of info there too. Business plan probably a good bet!

NEWBEE in Broad Brook

Starting Small
12-31-2012, 09:05 AM
I started this thread a couple years ago and I am curious if any hobby producers made the jump to commercial, even if not full time? If so was it everything you thought it would be, is the money better or worse? Any difficulty moving the product? etc? This thread should have been in the business section, so if there is an administrator reading this feel free to move it. Thanks!

Thad Blaisdell
12-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I have posted before on this in other threads, I believe it takes 5000 taps to make a living. And saying that it would require you to sell as much as possible retail. Now to sell all wholesale, 10000 taps would be where you want to be.

spud
12-31-2012, 12:41 PM
I would say Thad is 100% right on.

Spud

adk1
12-31-2012, 01:12 PM
I think it also really depends on your lifestyle and family needs. i.e. just you and the misses where the misses has a deent job with benefits, probably could make a go of it. but maple as the sole family provider..different story

Greenwich Maple Man
12-31-2012, 05:24 PM
It is a personal question for sure. Some people live on lesser amounts of money than others. Some people may need 3k taps others 10 ks or 20k it is a personal lifestyle decision. Can you make a a complete living on jsut syrup ? 100% yes . Many people do. To each his own.

Thad Blaisdell
12-31-2012, 05:40 PM
3k taps would be a little tight. You have to plan on expenses and bad years, ie last year. 3k taps represents 1500 gallons bulk price that is only $45,000. retail if you can sell it all you might be ok. Expenses would take a good chunk, and then there is any upgrades. I just dont see 3k taps working. It may work if the sugarhouse and everything in it is paid for and the house and cars are all taken care of. But on a bad year like last year that would have only been 750 gallons and not all good quality. That is not enough to scrape by on.

adk1
12-31-2012, 05:57 PM
Exactally. That is why sugaring is mainly a second income or suplemental income activity for most. If you look at VT for an example, allot of sugarmakers are farmers by trade and it is the first crop of the season that they harvest.

shane hickey
12-31-2012, 07:21 PM
I have a little over 11000 taps i can make a decent ling off those trees it all goes to one place.
Summer time gets real boring so i spent alot of my syrup money and got into farming.
Im now one of the largest hay farmers in the area with 650 of alfalfa.
Evan in a drought i've done well because the price of hay is about 220 a ton now.
It seems like after syrup season i always buy a new piece or equipment.
Thanks to syrup i dont have to work for anyone any more.
This will be my third year self sufficient.

Starting Small
12-31-2012, 09:16 PM
Shane-When you say it all goes to one place does that mean that you sell it all wholesale?

shane hickey
12-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Yes a company in Chicago called nature valley granola.
At a premium price.

adk1
01-01-2013, 11:14 AM
Shane, that is great that you can do that! ITs nice to hear stories like this. do you own all of the land that the maples are on? I think that that would make a difference without having that lease payment and the possibility of losing it.

shane hickey
01-01-2013, 11:23 AM
I lease over half of them. I have a minimum of 7 year contract. I dont have to worry for a while.

Brian Ryther
01-03-2013, 07:19 PM
750 * $62 = $46500. Take off $16k for jugs and other consumables and you are left with 30K. Good enough for me. Plenty of money for car and house payments. No up grades this year except for all new drop lines. Surviving just fine and loving what I do for a living. If I have a good year 1500gal * $62 = $93000. Looks like a new sugar house for me.

Starting Small
01-03-2013, 07:29 PM
Brian, I am curious if you sell primarily at Farmers Markets? If not how do you move that much product all retail? Does the marketing take up a good chunk of the rest of the year? Sounds like you are in a good situation, I would love to hear more about how your operation works. Thanks,
-Dave

Leadft
01-03-2013, 07:50 PM
I've had some great luck at the larger farm markets... It's great to see the interest people have in the maple syrup...
I would have to do some serious upgrades to support my family on it... A nice profitable addiction always helps !!!!

adk1
01-03-2013, 08:09 PM
I've had some great luck at the larger farm markets... It's great to see the interest people have in the maple syrup...
I would have to do some serious upgrades to support my family on it... A nice profitable addiction always helps !!!!

Wow, you run a 2x6 with close to 1400 taps???

wiam
01-03-2013, 08:19 PM
Ed, your facebook link does not work for me.

shane hickey
01-03-2013, 08:34 PM
Heres mine dont know if it helps shane hickey i have a new holland
Tractor for my profile page. See ya soon ed

delivron
01-03-2013, 08:39 PM
You are in Connecticut. That is a huge advantage.
1. You have a great association. Your state officers are willing to help new producers.
2. Connecticut has some of the highest prices per gallon produced when product is sold directly to the consumer.
3. Buyers in your state are Farm Gate loyal and will pay high prices for Maple Products.
4. Their are other opportunities including selling equipment, tubing installations ect.

I would urge you to attend the state Association Meeting on the 12th. Jeff Goulet Sales and Marketing Manager Lapierre. will be your speaker with the topic "Maple Sugaring for the small Producer" . He has over 20 years of industry experience.

Schiefe4
01-03-2013, 10:05 PM
Ed,

Where is Lacey, MI?

shane hickey
01-03-2013, 10:26 PM
45 miles south west of lansing look on mapquest
Should give you a pretty good idea

Schiefe4
01-04-2013, 07:01 AM
45 miles south west of lansing look on mapquest
Should give you a pretty good idea

That's funny. Google Maps couldn't find it.

shane hickey
01-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Go to www.mapquest.com type in lacey mi its a very small place i dont think its even
Considered a town more or less a village.

Jmsmithy
01-04-2013, 02:55 PM
You are in Connecticut. That is a huge advantage.
1. You have a great association. Your state officers are willing to help new producers.
2. Connecticut has some of the highest prices per gallon produced when product is sold directly to the consumer.
3. Buyers in your state are Farm Gate loyal and will pay high prices for Maple Products.
4. Their are other opportunities including selling equipment, tubing installations ect.

I would urge you to attend the state Association Meeting on the 12th. Jeff Goulet Sales and Marketing Manager Lapierre. will be your speaker with the topic "Maple Sugaring for the small Producer" . He has over 20 years of industry experience.

Could you say where that meeting on the 12th is?

I'm new to sugaring and this site...I have 250 acres in Adirondacks ( though I live in NJ I spend A LOT of time up north )

I've been making small batches last few seasons (except last year) and am very interested in getting involved commercially on a small scale to start....

ANY advice I'd greatly appreciated!!

adk1
01-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Another Flatlander! Although I guess coming from NJ to the Adirondacks of NY isnt as bad as coming from Arizona! haha

Leadft
01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I changed the link... Please test it for me to make sure it works ?? Thanks !!!!

I rely on the help of people like Shane Hickey that do custom boiling for me to be able to get a good volume of syrup for a season !!!
The year with 1400 taps out was busy to say the least... Especially since 60% of them where on buckets...
That’s why I'm diving into the mainline tubing installation...

Leadft
01-05-2013, 11:28 AM
That's funny. Google Maps couldn't find it.

Yea... :cry: Lacey is gone from most maps now days... That's why I try to list it as much as I can...
My mailing address is Dowling which is a couple miles north west of me...:cool: