PDA

View Full Version : Better Quality Syrup Hydrometers?

jcr1709
03-22-2011, 08:40 AM
Recently bought 1 sap and 1 syrup hydrometer and do understand and appreciate their value. I saved myself some boiling time by not boiling down less than 1% sap from rainwater getting in earlier this season. My syrup is now the correct density compared with last year only going by boiling temperature.

Anyway, I only used my syrup hydrometer on about 4 occasions this year. I have been aware of all those who say how easily they break. With that in mind, I have been extremely careful with it, particularly at the bottom. Last use this past weekend after washing, sure enough it had moisture in it and saturated the paper inside. The only time I even slightly "abused" it was when I was in between tests and after dumping the underdone syrup back into the pot I carefully lowered the hydrometer to rest at the bottom of the hydrometer cup to be ready for the next test. Not sure if this did it, but it sure seems like an unusually fragile item. It looks like it was maybe a homemade "made in house" hydrometer that has the company's name and website printed on the paper inside. Attached is a photo of the one I bought (without the company's name showing)

Any advice on syrup hydrometers that are perhaps a bit more durable? I read a post a short while ago from a guy that said he has been using the same syrup hydrometerfor 20 years....that's just my style. Thanks for any advice.

SPILEDRIVER
03-22-2011, 06:48 PM
that looks like a leader to me,mine works fine,bought it new 3 weeks ago because i thought my old original was off,not sure how old it is but the new leader cost 17.50$,i have the original box for my old one,it is a G.H.GRIMM and the box is stamped 3.00$ !!!!

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2011, 12:44 AM
I broke that little tip of the bottom on many hydrometers. I now get mine from Bascoms with the round bottoms. I break one every year from dropping it, this year I watched a brand new spare roll of the shelf and hit the floor. You think I would learn by now.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-23-2011, 06:07 AM
I broke that little tip of the bottom on many hydrometers. I now get mine from Bascoms with the round bottoms. I break one every year from dropping it, this year I watched a brand new spare roll of the shelf and hit the floor. You think I would learn by now.

Well trying to learn you NY'ers anything is really a hard thing to do 3rdgen. So just keep trying and some day you may pick it up and move ahead.:lol:

buck3m
03-23-2011, 09:40 AM
That's just about how long I've had it. Didn't make syrup many of those years, however. I've been lucky to have not broken it. Lucky and a little careful, I guess, althought I may drop it next time I use it.

I suspect you just got "a lemon." I wonder if it's possible there was enough moisture inside the hydrometer to condense to wet the paper? In all likelihood the next hydrometer you get will work perfectly well regardless of the manufacturer as long as it's a company with a good reputation.

lew
03-23-2011, 10:15 AM
This won't help with your syrup hydrometer, but for your sap hydrometer cut a piece of rubber inner tube slightly larger than the diameter of your hydrometer cup and shove it all the way to the bottom. when you "drop" your hydrometer into the cup this will help absorb the shock.