PDA

View Full Version : anyone use vacuum boosters?

michiganfarmer2
03-22-2011, 06:54 AM
My woods is a couple hundred yards wide, and the same deep. My releaser is in one corner. Im getting 22 inches at the releaser. Im thinking about adding a couple booster tanks and dry lines. I guess I should put a guage on some taps at the farthest from the releaser and see what I have out there first.

Anyone use booster tanks? What experices have yuo had?

Thompson's Tree Farm
03-22-2011, 08:26 AM
'BOOSTER TANKS" can help balance fluctuations but will not really increase vacuum. I'd install some dry lines to get the vacuum to the tap.

michiganfarmer2
03-22-2011, 09:07 AM
I wasnt thinking it would increase vacuum. I was hoping it would reduce fluctuations. I have lots of black plastic. Ill use that instead.

Thank you

brookledge
03-22-2011, 09:11 PM
The first thing you should do is just as you said, get a vac. gauge and set it up with a piece of rubber hose that will fit over a tap. go around and pull a tap and see what you have for a reading.If you have a good reading then you will only be wasting $ by adding a dry line. if you have a big drop then go to work putting in a dry line and a booster.
I'd say you should be ok since you said your woods are 200yds X200yds. I use them on long lines My first one is 800 feet out then 400 there after.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
03-22-2011, 11:46 PM
TTF thanks I was waiting for 3rdGen to step in:lol:

3rdgen.maple
03-23-2011, 12:31 AM
TTF thanks I was waiting for 3rdGen to step in:lol:

Almost spoke up but decided it was more fun making you wait. LOL Vac booster lol who came up with that name anyways?

brookledge
03-23-2011, 07:58 PM
How about saying it boosts the vacuum back up to the level you have at the releaser or close to it. But definately it will not boost (increase the vacuum any higher) than you have at the releaser.
Keith

Haynes Forest Products
03-23-2011, 11:05 PM
Yea its like a drive shaft increasing HP:confused:

Maple Hobo
03-27-2011, 02:57 PM
What size line you running in the woods? 200 yards shouldn't be causing too much issue for the length?

The "Boosters" are actually manifolds that the lateral lines come in at. Its basically a larger space to allow the sap (liquid/hydraulics) separate from the vacuum (air/phnematics).

They have the larger vacuum canisters, but at only 400 yards... you really shouldn't need anything like that.

If you ran the perimeter (200 x 200) to get to the opposite corner it is only 400 yards?
If your using a 3/4" or 1" line it should be good though.

What slope are you running at? If your too steep or running too small a line the sap will block the vacuum and then the vacuum can't draw? It needs to allow the bubble to be unbroken along the top of the sap in the line.

This doesn't apply to the small sap lines they should have slow chasing bubbles moving downhill if its working correctly for them.

They used to get a "vapor lock" issue here until I rebuilt the system.

Depending on your layout you might be able to run a dry line to the top of your main lines and just keep your existing setup. Take the shortest path to the top of them and it will simply make a closed loop that will allow the sap to run down hill under vacuum.

Maple Hobo
03-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Almost spoke up but decided it was more fun making you wait. LOL Vac booster lol who came up with that name anyways?

I think that was Leader or the Doctor guy who first designed the system layout?

When I talked to the guys at Leader about it, I kept calling it a Manifold and not a booster. Booster is not a correct description. I think a number of other people have told them the same thing. I see they put "Booster/Manifold" in the next catalog.

The larger canisters they said can be used for a variet of applications. The best one I could think of would be a split or star pattern where multiple wet/dry mains come together. They seemed to really like that idea so I expect to hear about that next issue..lol