PDA

View Full Version : Can't find my cream / butter recipe!

strawhouse
03-21-2011, 12:58 PM
Can anyone refresh my memory on how to make maple butter / cream (whatever you want to call it.) The nice maple spread, with no actual butter in it, just maple syrup.
I've lost my recipe, I know there is a certain temp to heat it to then stir forever until it sets. That's all that I can remember!
Thanks guys!

cucinacecilia
03-21-2011, 01:08 PM
22-24 degrees F over BP of water; quickly cool in icebath to under 100 degrees (without disturbing it) then stir,stir,stir...

godin1317
03-21-2011, 01:58 PM
Why would my maple cream turn out grainy? It seems fine throughout the whole process but some batches just come out grainy. What is the cause?

strawhouse
03-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Thanks cucinacecilia! It was that temp I just couldn't remember!

godin, I think too hot or too cool of a temp causes the grainyness, but I'm not sure.

OneLegJohn
03-27-2011, 03:10 PM
Why would my maple cream turn out grainy? It seems fine throughout the whole process but some batches just come out grainy. What is the cause?

Cucinacecilia probably knows better than most, it is your invert sugar level. The lower the inverted sugar, the better your crystal formation for candy and the subsequent coating (if you do that). However, in the case of maple cream, I think if your inverted sugar is too low, you get rigid crystals. Try mixing a little late season syrup in on the next batch of maple cream. Maybe 1/5 of the total batch as grade B. See if that helps the texture of your cream.