PDA

View Full Version : Filtering sweetened pans

muddyfootprints
03-21-2011, 12:38 PM
How do people go about getting some of the niter out of pans that are sweetened, so it doesn't just bake on the bottom of the pan.

Has anyone ever used there filter press like a vacuum? sticking the suction hose into the pans (when they have cooled and settled a bit) and suck it out and put it back into the float box, working your way thru the pan.

We tried this last weekend and it seemed to work really good. any reason one shouldn't do it.

talahi maple products
03-21-2011, 02:12 PM
I clamp a pre-filter around the dump valve & dump the pan contents into a drum that has a sump pump in it, which is feed back into the float box.Then while it's cycling I have a long handle with a 3M brush hooked to it that I clean the pan with. Normally, after a day of running I plug 1/2 dozen pre- filters. But its alot easier getting the scum at that vescosity than when it's syrup. And I think i'm making lighter syrup for it. (If you try this keep your eye on the pre filter It gets clogged up quick:)

muddyfootprints
03-21-2011, 09:47 PM
I was thinking that stuff would clog the filters pretty fast so we did mix up some DE and water and ran that thru the press first to see if that would help the filters and we had no clogging, pulled a lot of stuff out

next time I think we might us a brush to loosen some of the stuff off the bottom, but the suction hose did a pretty good job.