PDA

View Full Version : PIN hole in Lapierre 2x6

barkeatr
03-20-2011, 05:42 PM
I have three tiny pinholes in my two year old lapierre...I think they were there last year but they are so small i didnt notice them. Earlier today they were leaking but they seemed to have stopped or the sap is sneaking out in another place.

anyway, anyone know any tricks to plug them if they have not plugged themselves untill i can get them in for warranty stainless work?

Can i put a tiny pit of regular solder in there as a temporary fix? they are very small, litterally a pinhead, and one is like two pinheads.

frustrating with brand new equipment!

BARKEATER

Monster Maples
03-20-2011, 06:17 PM
Well, I live around a bunch of amish here. They told me corn meal works. Had one of them come over during the season and let me know his pan was leaking, I told him what I had heard. The next day I went over to see what he did to get up and running. He told me corn meal, and said it worked. Did you clean your pans after the season last year? The soot can eat stainless in a hurry.

barkeatr
03-20-2011, 06:24 PM
corn meal...sounds pretty good. I did clean my pans after last season..truth be told that is when i first saw them..and promptly forgot to the season rush this year.

I look up under the pans and it seems they have plugged themselves by turning into syrupy black gook underneath. They seem plugged but...maybe some corn meal woudl combine with the syrup and bind up the holes untill i can get pan back to lapierre.

thanks monster maples!

PerryW
03-21-2011, 06:51 AM
Can i put a tiny pit of regular solder in there as a temporary fix? they are very small, litterally a pinhead, and one is like two pinheads.

BARKEATER

Yes, I have used regular lead-free plumbing solder and a propane torch with success. Just clean around the holes real well with some kind of grinder, and use plenty of flux. It does NOT take much heat to solder the sheet metal as it is thin.

Flat Lander Sugaring
03-21-2011, 07:54 PM
Well, I live around a bunch of amish here. They told me corn meal works. Had one of them come over during the season and let me know his pan was leaking, I told him what I had heard. The next day I went over to see what he did to get up and running. He told me corn meal, and said it worked. Did you clean your pans after the season last year? The soot can eat stainless in a hurry.

never really have cleaned the bottom,I guess I will start this year